7. ATEEZ

Yeosang collected Seonghwa early next morning after the ship had reached shore during the night already.

The deck was ghostly silent. Captain and a few others had left during the early hours to run some errands and thus Seonghwa relished in the peaceful quiet as he joined the ex-prince. Yeosang led him over the ship and explained the life on board to him, pointing out names and functions Seonghwa never needed to know.

"Now you know what the quarterdeck is, the difference between starboard and port-side and the names of every cabin and mast on here. The sails are a part of this you will never remember. I looked them up myself in some drawings yesterday."

Seonghwa chuckled dryly. He had found a splendid companion in Yeosang. The man had humour; deadpanning whatever he could and laughing emptily at his own jokes. He had emphasised the importance of some things, though, especially rooms and directions, so Seonghwa could follow basic orders.

He still did not know how to do anything on board and after joining Yunho in the galley (he had studied!), he also learned it did not matter.

"Youjin will probably get you into helping him with cleaning the cannons. Or you'll clean something else. You aren't a sailor and since we neglect our cleaning duties all the time, your skill at it comes in handy."

Seonghwa was fine with cleaning. It was something he could do right. No need for Hongjoong to shove him around for that.

Yunho offered breakfast to them during their visit to the kitchen. He sported a big grin on his face as he complimented Seonghwa's now midnight dark hair.

"Will you join us later, Yeo? I heard there are a lot of fun things to do in the town."

Yeosang grimaced, tastefully sipping at his tea.

"No way. But Jongho will. He has to watch our guest."

At that, Yunho looked elated. He skipped off with long legs to pester Jongho about it.

In his confusion about what it mattered to pirates to go on land, Seonghwa tilted his head in Yeosang's direction. From everything he had heard, they did not plan a fest of slaughtering and stealing at the peaceful seaport.

"Usually, Jongho stays on board and guards the ship while the others are out to paint the town red. He will join you guys today, so Youjin and a few others will stay back. That's why they already left in the morning." Yeosang's explanations were simple and to the point, no beating around the bush.

Seonghwa nodded. He did not know on what to do on land except to look for an escape and maybe enjoy the earth. His element. Perhaps the pirates also appreciated some solid ground under their feet from time to time.

They sat together and talked for a while as Seonghwa finished his breakfast. Yeosang tested Seonghwa's new knowledge and threw random facts about pirates at him. Seonghwa also learned the word 'booty', which they used for the treasures they found. Seonghwa stared at Yeosang for a long time when he had first told him because that was not the same as the boys in Seonghwa's village meant with it.

When the sun sunk towards the ocean in a brilliant spectacle that would never bore Seonghwa, even in his dubious surroundings and the townspeople lit their lamps, it was time for Seonghwa to go. He promised to talk to Yeosang again soon, glad about his easy-going attitude. After Yeosang had wished him fun, Seonghwa stepped out to meet with Yunho on the deck.

The cook was jittery with delight to leave the boat. He bounced on his feet and yelled Mingi's name until he peered his head from the cargo hold. The scary redhair's arms were loaded with books and food he had been ordering. He ducked back into the ship's belly to sort them away while Yunho called for the others that would join Seonghwa's evening group.