Chapter 18

"Oh, Benedict, there you are!" Donna cheerily greeted as Ben came walking out in a sleepy state. Cassie, who was sitting at the kitchen island and sipping on her coffee, slowly turned to look at him. A smile immediately went across his face once he saw her, but he quickly contained it when Donna brought him over some coffee.

He thanked her in a husky morning voice, then took a seat at the island, leaving a chair in between him and Cassie. "Did you sleep alright, Ben?" Donna asked. He hummed into his coffee, then told her, "Very well, yes." He made a side glance to Cassie and saw she had buried her face into her coffee cup as she nervously drank it.

It made him smile.

"That's good," Donna continued as she started getting her purse together, "because I thought I heard you rolling around in there when I came home." Cassie spit out her coffee, while Ben choked on his. Donna didn't notice, but continued to say, "And Cass, I went into your room this morning to see if you wanted to go for a run, but you weren't there!"

This time, Ben spit out his coffee and Cassie choked on her's. Quickly recovering, she told her mother, "I couldn't sleep and was out for a run pretty early. Sorry, I didn't want to wake you so early." Her and Ben both waited in anticipation to see how she'd react to the small lie.

"You were always an early riser," Donna absentmindedly said as she looked for something. "Ah! Here it is! Alright, you two, I'm off! Can't be late for brunch with the girls!" Cassie rolled her eyes at that. After she left, things fell quiet.

It was almost deafening, besides the slurping of their coffee. It seemed like forever, but Ben finally made a move to reach for her hand. When she quickly moved it away and told him to wait, he almost felt his heart break. "Why?" He asked, almost harshly.

They had an incredible night! After their first round of lovemaking, he woke up to her taking him in her mouth. It was nearly three in the morning, but he didn't complain one bit. He refused to come into her mouth, so he got her on all fours and took her slowly and sweetly from behind.

Obviously, if she regretted the first time, she wouldn't have initiated the second time...right?

He waited impatiently for her answer, but didn't get one. Just as he took in a breath to say something, Ethan came running out. He looked like he was ready for the snow. "Mom, can I please go and play with the kids in the courtyard, please!"

He had his hands laced together and was lightly jumping up and down. His eyes were pleading and there's no way she could resist those baby blues. She gave him a small smirk, then said, "Okay, but make sure you come in to get some lunch. Deal?" He eagerly nodded, then excitedly said, "Thanks, mom! See you later, Ben!"

The moment he was out the door, Cassie took Ben's hand and told him, "Sorry, I just wanted to make sure he didn't see. With everything that he's been going through, I didn't want to add this." Ben's frustrated, scrunched up face turned soft. He let out a deep breath and a small laugh.

"For a moment there, I thought you...well, I thought you regretted last night." She quickly shook her head as she told him, "Of course not! If I did, I don't think I would have gone for a second round." She ended her sentence with a wink and he could feel himself stiffen.

"Come here, you," he said, pulling on her hand. She got up from her seat and nestled herself in between his legs. She got up on her tippy toes as he put a hand on the small of her back. The moment their lips touched, they each breathed out a sigh of relief.

Ben moved his hand up to the side of her face and cradled it as he gently ran his thumb over her cheek. When they pulled away, they didn't get too far from each other. "Morning," he mumbled against her lips. She smiled as she said, "Morning. Breakfast?"