Chapter 34

"Ethan! Ethan, can you please make yourself breakfast?" Once she heard a "yes, mom!" she vomited into the toilet. She was way past the flu and was into morning sickness. As far as Ethan knows, she's still sick. She has no idea how she and Ben are going to tell the kids. Actually, she has no idea how this is even going to work!

It's not like they're planning on getting married or moving in together. Not yet, at least. Ben hasn't brought it up in the several phone calls she has with him a day. She was terrified to bring it up herself because he's already in a sensitive place with this. The last thing she wants to do is make it worse.

Cassie could smell the bacon Ethan was cooking and it make her gag. She had the same problem when she was pregnant with him. She could not stand the smell of meat. Anytime Joel had sizzled bacon, or even if the downstairs neighbor was cooking up a steak on his balcony, she had to bolt to the bathroom.

However, she couldn't give anything away, so she had to suck it up and pretend like the aroma wasn't a finger trying to go down her throat and mess with her esophagus.

"Smells yummy," she said, her voice cracking as she walked into the kitchen. Ethan smiled proudly at her, then said, "I made you some, too!" She gagged, but made sure Ethan couldn't see her. "Thank you, baby," she croaked.

Her sweet boy dished up the scrambled eggs and bacon, then handed it to her. Maverick was sitting beside her, waiting for some scraps. He got one better because she quickly gave him the bacon while Ethan was still dishing up his plate.

"Wow, sweetie, this bacon is so good," she told him. "The eggs look perfectly cooked, too." She timidly bit into the eggs and found that they were actually cooked. No flavor, but at least she won't get salmonella.

She cleaned up the enormous mess he somehow made from just eggs and bacon while he got ready. When she was done she responded to Ben's text on how she was doing. She was honest with him because there was no reason to lie. He would worry no matter what.

When they got to the school, Ben was just getting out of the car with Cillian. He beamed a smile at her the moment she came into his view. He pointed Ethan out to Cillian, then went over to her as both boys walked into school.

"Have a good day!" Cassie called. Ethan and Cillian turned and waved to their parents, then continued inside. Ben turned to his pregnant girlfriend with a small and worried smile. "How are you feeling, baby?" He put his hand on her stomach as she said, "Better now that I'm out of a bacon smelling house. God, I forgot how terrible this part is."

He placed a kiss on her head, then led her to his car. He opened the trunk, then pulled out a shopping bag. "Got these on the way here," he said. He pulled out the items as he said, "Ginger tea to settle your stomach. Um, let's see...ginger cookies, ginger ale. Erm...oh, yes, and prenatal vitamins. The rest is from the list of cravings you sent me last night. Strawberry ice cream, hot sauce, pasta, avocado, a pack of powdered donuts, and sour patch kids."

He gave her a proud smile once he was done. "Oh, Ben," she cried. She pulled him in for a hug and he couldn't help but laugh. He gently rocked her as they hugged, then pulled back and handed her the groceries.

"I've got to get to work," he sadly told her. He ran his thumb in gentle circles over her temple, then kissed her forehead. "I'll pack a bag and come over afterwards. You, Ethan and I can have a quiet night in, then once he goes to bed, I'll run you a bath. I also picked up some oils, so I'll give you a back and feet massage. It's also good to rub on the bump so you don't get stretch marks—which I don't mind at all, you know that—but I know you're a little self conscious about it."

Good God, who was this man?

"I love you," was all she could say and it made him laugh. "I love you, too, baby. I'll see you around six." They kissed goodbye and went their separate ways for now.