Chapter 38

Cassie hummed in annoyance as she held her hands to her forehead. She got an idea for a new book and had been writing about it for hours now in the kitchen. She got up to the point where she imagined it going...but she never imagined it this far.

Writer's block is her worst enemy. Still, she was happy to not be the only tired, annoyed, hardworking, miserable person in the house. Ben was still up and working in the living room. They've seen each other twice since after dinner eight hours ago and that was for Ben to come into the kitchen to eat the rest of the sushi; and Cassie going out into the living room to take a bite of it.

She knew she would have to go to bed very soon and she also knew she'd have to try and get Ben in bed with her. The last time he did that, he ended up being late for work and fell asleep in his office. He asked her to bring him to bed if she was still awake and it's been successful every time. After the fifth time.

So she closed down her laptop and when to get up, but stopped when she got scared shitless by Ethan appearing at the doorway. "Jesus, Ethan," she panted, holding her chest. "You scared the hell out of me! What are you doing up, it's two in the morning."

Ethan went over and sat down next to her at the table. "I couldn't sleep," he told her. "It's about the question I asked dad." Her heart calming a bit now, she asked, "What about it?" Sighing, he looked away from her for a moment, then turned back.

"I asked him...I asked him if I could do travel baseball," he told her. "I've been researching it and I found some great places! Look!" He anxiously took some brochures from under the back of his shirt like he was hiding them.

She took them from his eager hands as he continued, "I will work so hard—so hard, mom, and I swear I won't make any mistakes ever! I'll catch every ball, hit only home runs and be the fastest of the fastest! I promise!"

Cassie looked over the brochures with a confused look on her face. Ethan couldn't tell what she was confused about and it scared him!

"You...you did your research on these?" She asked, almost impressed. He quickly nodded. She opened up each brochure and read every page. Ethan sat there quietly, but nervous. Cassie could see him ferociously wiggle and flick his fingers from her peripheral vision.

Once she was finished with the last one, she spread them all out. She looked to Ethan and said, "I know you would work your ass off. I know you'd commit fully and be incredibly passionate in every game like you always do." Ethan straightened up with a proud smile on his face.

Cassie continued, "But, baby...it's impossible." Ethan's face dropped, his chest deflated. He felt a surge of anger and disappointment run through his body. He heard Cassie's voice say, "It's impossible...to not ever make any mistakes because you are going to make plenty in this."

He cocked his head to the right a bit, his eyebrows furrowed. "What?" He asked. She shrugged, then told him, "I mean, you'll be traveling to different states, some warmer than others and that's a huge factor in your game! It's impossible to not make any mistakes in baseball!"

He seemed to be in shock. He was clearly not expecting this.

"I can do it?" He asked. "Like, really?" Cassie smiled as she told him, "Like, really." He immediately jumped into her arms in a huge hug! "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" He said over and over again. Cassie couldn't help her smile.

Ben came in, rubbing at his tired eyes. "What's going on in here," he yawned. Ethan started jumping around the kitchen as he cheered, "Mom's letting me play travel ball!" Ben gave her an odd look as he asked him, "Is that the question you had for your dad?"