Chapter 47

Cassie's fingers were flying across the keyboard. She was in the zone and so close to being done with her book! This was the last one in her long series and she could not disappoint her readers. As a matter of fact, the thought of it had been giving her anxiety!

These last few words were the most important ones of the book and everyone involved knew it. Just a few more seconds, a few more fingers just need to be brought down and...!

"Mommy! Mommy, look!" Cassie sprang from her trance and sighed. She turned around to see her three year old daughter, Madison, smiling proudly with a drawing she had come up with. Cassie sported her proudest smile as she said, "That is so beautiful, baby girl! Is that for me or daddy?"

Madison ran over to her mom as she said, "You!" Cassie kissed her head and took the picture. "I am going to hang it up in just a minute, but right now I need to finish—."

"Mommy, mommy!" Cassie closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Her five year old son, Brooklyn, came bounding in with a drawing of his. They used to be occupied for hours on end whenever she came home with fresh paper and crayons. She now knows this is no longer the case.

"That's so amazing, sweetie," Cassie said, equally as proud as she was with Madison. "Can you do mommy a huge favor?" Brooklyn quickly nodded. He loved being the big brother when Ethan wasn't around because it meant he was in charge.

"I want you to take your sister, go into the living room and draw everything you want for dinner tonight! I'll pick a few items from your drawings to make if you're good. Deal?" They loved it when she did this. She really would just pick a couple of items from their drawings, even if it was breakfast food!

Brooklyn took his little sister's hand and had them both bolt into the living room to start up their dinner plans!

Cassie sighed in relief, then turned back to the computer. She re-read a few paragraphs to rejuvenate her creative flow. But it hasn't been "Oh, shit," she said to herself, "what was I trying write?"

By the time Ben came home, he could smell his wife's home cooked meal...meals.

"What did you two monkeys draw up for mummy tonight," he announced as he walked into the kitchen. Brooklyn and Madison jumped from their seats at the table and gave their dad a huge hug. Ben picked them both up and smothered them in kisses.

When he set them down, he went up to Cillian and did the same, knowing it would annoy him. "Dad, gross!" He complained. Ben laughed as he said, "Oh, you used to love that and you know it. Hello, my darling." He kissed Cassie on the lips, then sat between her and Ethan.

"How was practice today?" He asked Ethan as he dug into his plate of assorted food. Ethan nodded as he told him, "Good. I was just telling mom how I applied for my scholarships today, but I won't know until early May."

Ben nudged him with his elbow and said, "You're a shoe-in, I told you that. Any college you want, you've got it." Ethan couldn't contain his smile as he said, "Thanks, Ben. If I can't get into Florida, then I also applied for Texas, UCLA and pretty much every school with a top baseball team."

As Cassie dished up some more scrambled eggs, she told him, "And I will be at every single game, no matter where you decide to go. Seriously, ask Ben. I've been pushing to buy Summer house wherever you go."

Ben looked to Ethan and said, "It's true. But enough about the possibility of moving across the state...Cill, how was your day, kiddo?" Cillian looked up from his plate and shrugged. "Fine," he said. "Not as exciting as Ethan's. I applied to some colleges, but not many."

Ethan scoffed as he said, "Oh, come on, you had a great day! Tell them!" Cassie and Ben looked eagerly to Cillian, who suddenly seemed proud, but bashful. "I, uh...I got the lead in the school play."