Chapter 45

"Come on, Ethan! You got this, baby, let's go!" Ben laughed with his coffee at his lips. He was looking up at his gleeful girlfriend, who had her eyes glued to her son and nothing else. All of the other parents around them were annoyed with her and she knew it. He loved that she didn't care.

"Yes! Yes! Run, baby, run!" Ethan smacked a ball into right field and was running like the wind towards third! "Go, go, go!" Ethan slid into third and was safe! Ben jumped up and cheered with Cassie and the rest of the team parents.

Ethan smiled at his mom and pointed to her. She put her hand over her heart and got misty eyed. Ever since she learned he does that to let her know he did that for her, she hasn't been able to not be emotional about it.

Ethan's teammate, Arnie,—who's easily become Ethan's new best friend (he calls Cillian his brother now)—hit a single and Ethan scored the winning run! The team ran out onto the field and practically tackled Arnie. They doused him in gatorade and water.

When everyone trickled away, he and Ethan did their "secret" end-of-game handshake. They had one for when they won and for when they lost.

Cassie was still cheering on her boy, even as the other parents had stopped for their's. This annoyed the other parents yet again, but especially one in particular. Her name was Pat. Cassie knew there would be some parents she didn't like and vice versa because travel ball has many rich and snobby parents that she just can't relate to.

The majority of these parents send their kids off to travel ball to get them out of the house for the Summer. Some of these kids have their live-in nannies traveling with them instead of their parents, which Cassie just found sad.

But Pat wasn't one of those. As a matter of fact, she thought she was the better parent out of anyone. She brought all the good snacks, got her and her son the best hotel room, donated the most money. In reality, it was just a show.

"Your voice must be getting tired," Pat said from behind her. Cassie kept clapping with her smile and retorted without looking, "Your ego must be getting tired." Ben nearly spit out his coffee from laughter. Pat gave them both a glare that they didn't acknowledge, then walked away.

"Christ, I love how I don't have to defend you," Ben said as they waited for Ethan. "With El, she couldn't take a punch. Hell, she couldn't take a flick! You, though, you're just so badass...with a tight ass." He gave her a wink just before she slapped his shoulder with a smile.

Ethan came running to the stands with his duffle bag and bat in hand. "There's the next Mike Trout!" Cassie called. Ethan rolled his eyes as he blushed profusely. "Stop, mom, no I'm not," he bashfully told her.

Cassie took his bag and flung it over her shoulder as she said, "If you keep it up, you will be! Come on, let's get you back to the hotel and we'll go out for dinner. We can't be too late, though, Ben's flight is early in the morning."

Ethan sighed. "I wish you could go to Kansas City with us," he complained to Ben. Ben put his hand over his shoulders and pulled him in close. "I know, kiddo, but I've got a big case coming up. Cillian and I will be in Hawaii next week with you both, though, I've made sure of it."

Cassie added, "And your father will be in Kansas City with us. He should be getting there just an hour after us." That made Ethan smile a bit, which made Cassie happy. Him and Joel have been getting along really well since Joel's gotten help. Even Cassie had to admit he's made a major change.

When they got back to the hotel, Cassie shunned Ethan to the shower. It was hot and humid in Atlanta, so he was extra stinky today. While he was in there, Cassie helped Ben pack up his things.

"Let me know how the case goes," she kept urging. "I mean, I know you can't tell me much about it, but at least tell me how you did. Promise?" Ben chuckled as he went over to her with his hands up and ready to cup her face.

He planted a loving, but quick kiss on her lips. "Once again, my love, I promise. However, I don't promise the house being in a clean state after I spew papers all over the place. You know how I get."

She couldn't help her smile as she said, "Oh, I sure do."