Chapter 10. Meet the Legends

(Woah an update. The only reason I forced myself to write this tonight was because my friend texted me about it.)

(To friend: I need to practice and finish other things, but no, here I am writing fanfiction. You're welcome, Miss Duran. [oh no i sound like one of my teachers-])

POV: Third Person
Location: The Nether

"Hurry up!" Grian scolded, anxiously looking down the hall. Mumbo and Iskall followed Grian down the hall and through the corridors. They were making their way towards the coordinates Xisuma had sent.

Down the staircase and through the maze of hallways, they have finally made it to where Xisuma and his group were. Grian slowed down his pace, gazing at the keypad in recognition.

"You know what it is, Grian?" Xisuma asked, sliding his sword into his sheath. Grian nodded.

"Yes. I've only seen a few of these in all my time."

"Can... can you unlock it?" Grian nodded once more

"Step back." Grian commanded. He entered the five-digit code, stepping back with the other Hermits.

"I have to blast it. It's a keypad you use only once." He held his hand out, furrowing his eyebrows at me. A small ball of magic soared towards the keypad. It caused a small blast, the screen turning off. The sound of a seal breaking echoed through the dungeon-like place. The door started moving open.

"Well, hello there." An older sounding voice was heard. Grian narrowed his eyes, arms dangerously flashing with prime energy.

"Woah... take it easy, Prime Admin." It sounded again. The door opened fully to reveal the one and only Notch, creator of Minecraft.

"It's been ages since I've had contact with any player." He said. He stood up with grace. Despite his age, he was still agile.

"... how have you been surviving?" Xisuma asked, tilting his head.

"I don't need food. As long as there is at least one player that is playing, I live on. So does Herobrine." Notch looked at him, raising an eyebrow. "The more people online, the stronger I am."

"Okay, we have to go now... Herobrine might have made a move already." Grian warned, looking down the hall. The walked down the halls, the dangerous players and mobs not daring to say a word.

They climbed the stairs, pulling the door open. They blasted or sliced the remaining demons out of the way, following where Notch was going.

"Where are we going to go now?"

"Since I'm the creator of Minecraft, I do know that Herobrine has been causing trouble." Notch started. "We're going to the center of the fortress. That's the only place I could think he would be right now, since I know he's in the Nether somewhere." The Hermits shared worried looks. If Herobrine was already here, what has he been doing?

As they were navigating through the fortress, they almost ran into someone. They had a light blue shirt, and looked a lot like Joe. He had purple eyes and a diamond pickaxe strapped on his belt. A kind smile was set on his face as he looked at the group of players.

"Oh. Hi there. I didn't expect living people to be here." He said. He sounded exhausted, but looked like he could run many miles.

"Are you... Steve?" Iskall asked, excitement and disbelief in his voice. The man in question nodded.

"Question: how could you tell we weren't dead?"

"Your eyes. If you look at your other friend here," Steve gestured to Xanthus. "He has gray eyes. The rest of you don't." Xanthus smiled gently, fingering his sword's hilt in nervousness.

"So, what are you here for?" Steve asked, making eye contact with Notch. They gave each other concerned looks.

"Oh. He's at it again, huh." Steve said, not bothering to question. Everyone hesitantly nodded. Steve growled, starting to walk in the direction they were heading in originally. The rest followed him.

"You know where to go?" Mumbo hesitantly asked.

"Yeah, of course. My brother's throne room, where he spends most of his time." Steve turned to look back, directing his purple eyes at the group.

"Be ready for whatever is there. Herobrine can be doing weird things, but don't be surprised if something bad is going on in there." He looked straight ahead again.

The group shared worried looks.

"But don't worry, you have Notch and the Prime Admin. We should be fine."

"What about you? Aren't you powerful?" Keralis asked. Steve's stride faltered.

"I... used to have powers that matched my brother's powers. He... took most of it. I can only do small things, like conjure a shield, or summon an object." He sounded so sad... it was almost heartbreaking.

"However, there is a way to get it back." He sounded hopeful this time.

"How?" Bdubs asked.

"By killing Herobrine and transferring his power to a safer and trustworthy entity. That means either me or a Prime Admin. If we don't transfer the magic, in a few days it'll destroy the." He said.

"And you don't feel remorse for killing your brother?" Xisuma asked. Steve's eyebrows furrowed as he had set a hard look on his face.

"I only call him my brother because of blood. The day he killed her, I won't ever forgive him or think of him as a proper brother." Steve said. He growled again, narrowing his eyes. He set his hand on the shaft of the pickaxe.

"I'm coming for you, Herobrine. Don't expect to live after I'm done with you." Steve muttered, more to himself than anyone.

The group of Hermits shared a look. That look was of hope and determination.

They have a reason to hope now. They have a reason to fight.

(955 words)