Chapter 13

Leanne sat watching her mother sleep, holding her hands. She didn't move for the whole two hours Natalie was asleep. It was nice for a change, to see her so peaceful and not running around after someone.

She flickered her eyes open.

"You're still here?"

"Of course I am Mum, you asked me not to leave, so I didn't."

"But, you didn't even move your hands" She glanced at the clock," and I've been asleep for hours!"

"Oh, I see your amnesia's improved... "

"Oh, probably!" Natalie laughed loudly finally releasing Leanne's hands.

"How are you feeling Natalie?" The Nurse pushed the thin oak door open and stepped inside.

"Better now, well, I've been asleep and that seemed to help a lot,'

"Oh Leanne, how long would you say your mum was asleep for?"

"Around two hours," She nodded, wrote something down on her clipboard and continued.

"I just need to change the dressing, okay?" She replied, changing her focus to Natalie again. She walked around the bed to where Leanne had previously been standing, who had moved to the other side of the room as she realized the Nurse would need to be where she was.

The Nurse gently pulled off the eight strips of medical tape holding the square, absorbent, thick sheet of material in place. Natalie winced in pain as she took off the bandage. Leanne's eyes widened at the sight of the deep laceration on her mother's head, still bleeding.

"Oh, my gosh Mum,"

"Natalie, I'm just going to go and get some additional tape." The Nurse left the room. Natalie turned over to look at Leanne.

"Is it bad?"

"I was just shocked, that's all." It dawned on her that Natalie hadn't seen the injury yet. "Does it hurt?"

"Mainly when you touch it, but yeah,"

The Nurse returned with the tape. Natalie winced louder when she applied light pressure reapplying the sheet of material.

"Some of your friends are here, would you like me to let them in?" The Nurse asked.

"Please..." Natalie responded.