Chapter 28 ⚠️

TW: Mentions of S*elf Harm and Eating D*sorder

"I know, Leanne," She held her niece close. "You know she'd be so proud of the woman you've grown into. So so proud,"

"You think?" A whisper left the adolescent's mouth.

"I don't think. I know. And I also know that she'd want us to stop crying and get to her daughter to her 18th birthday party, yeah?"

Leanne nodded, "You think she'll ever come back? You think she's even alive-"

"Shshsh, I'm sure she is." Aimie lied. "I'm sure she is. Anyway, can I walk you in?" She whispered softly, releasing her from the hug.

Leanne nodded, allowing Aimie to walk her inside.

A few hours later, she was due to make a speech. Brushing down her ball gown, she made her way to the front.

"Um, Hiya, " She giggled nervously, "You probably know who I am, otherwise I'd be concerned why you're here, " She earnt a laugh from the group. "Um, I just wanted to thank you all for coming, and thank you all for being a part of my life, and for getting me where I am today. As those who are quite close to me will know the last four years have been really really tough. My, er, my mum. She went missing four years ago, last week. Taken, more like. And that- that was horrid to sit by and watch. You have no idea of the guilt I carry every single day for that. Actually, Auntie Aimie might. Now um, this, no one else knew or does know about this, so I would appreciate it if you all just listened to the next bit. I had an eating disorder. And I'm still recovering. And I- I, " She presented her scar-ridden arms "Yeah. I don't do that anymore, thankfully," She kept it as strong as she could, her eyes glazed over, "I thought I deserved it. But Aunt Aimie, showed me, its wasn't my fault; it was those sick, twisted men who took my mother." Her tone a mix of anger and desperation.

She didn't notice the blonde figure in the door frame.