Poem 29: A Short Fairy Tale (Story)

The Seventh Day

            There once were two women who were madly in love with one another. 

            Because of this, a cruel, wretched Witch sought out to set a curse on the couple due to their sin. She longed to know if their love could truly withstand any havoc she may place upon their life. Not to mention, she was hungry.
One night, when the moon was full and the sky was empty, the Witch crept inside the wives isolated cottage in the meadow, and woke them with a start. 
            She explained to them the fate they were to endure from now on; cackling in great detail about how if they were to avoid the curse, it would only lead them to their inevitable demise.

Though the reason crude, the Witch had thought her plan out thoroughly for seven weeks. 

            From then on, a man was to be sent to arrive at cottage at seven o'clock every month, for seven months.
Each time he arrived, he would ask a question; this question was inevitable.  
Each time the question was asked, the answer would have to be more costly.

Month 1

             Twas summer in village, and the heat had created such a vast draft, that it had begun to slam shutters of their cottage close at every opportunity.
This gave the one woman a terrible headache.
Knowing this, her wife decided on what she would ask the man for their first endurance. 

            That night, a man appeared at seven o'clock at the woman's bedside. There was no introduction; he asked a simple, seven-word question,

"How may I break your heart today?" he asked. 

The woman hesitated before speaking, 

"Sir, allow the shudders to hit my head as I pass them on the way to the garden." 

            That day, as she stepped out of their cottage to tend to the tulips--the wooden shutter came at her forehead with vast force, giving her a tremendous headache. Just as her wife. 

Month 2

             The next month came by quickly, though the pounding in their heads had now subsided. 

They were happily cooking their rabbit stew on a Sunday evening, when the the man interrupted from behind them without a sound. 

"How may I break your heart today?" he asked expressionlessly. 

The woman was caught off guard, surely she could think of something? Then, there it was. 

            Though the woman loved rabbit stew, she couldn't help but feel pity for the small creatures--and even though she loved watching them frolic in the meadows, she knew what she would ask for. 

"All the rabbits shall disappear from our forests and village." she said solemnly. 

There were no rabbits to be seen in that kingdom again. 

Month 3

            By the time the month was over the  autumn leaves began to fall, and the womans' mule outside had begun to get irritated by the lack of shelter from the falling debris. They couldn't afford a barn for it, so they did the only thing possible; despite needing it to carry their silks and trade North. 

They waited eagerly for seven

"How may I break your heart today?" the man asked upon his arrival. 

"Set free our humble mule and allow him to run away to where he will find a better shelter than we can provide."

                The mule could be heard running off that night, his hooves clattering against the cobblestone pathway, away from their cottage. 

Month 4:

            The next month was September, the refreshed air offered peace in this stressful challenges they faced.

"How may I break your heart today?" 

The woman's heart was a race as she lay in bed, shook from her sudden awakening. 

Nonetheless, she thought for a moment. 

"Make the bread we eat stale as stone." she answered, hoping that would be a fair request so she could return to her slumber. 

            The man left, and sure enough, there was no fresh bread to be had for the couple. 

Month 5

             The snapping cold greeted the women the month after, frosting over their crops and roads for trade. Certainly things couldn't get any worse, but nevertheless, the man greeted them once again at the strike of seven. 

"How may I break your heart today?" he asked the second woman, whom he had not yet spoken to. 

           She looked to her frozen hands and knew she hadn't a choice. 

"Well…You could rid our fireplace of embers so it no longer offers us warmth."

Month 6

           True to their fate, the month passed in bitter chill. By the time January came around, the one wife had fallen deathly ill from the cold. No longer able to talk or move her limbs. 

The clock struck seven and the man appeared once again. 

"How may I break your heart today?" he asked her, as she held her trembling, pale wife against her breast.

"P-put her out of this-m-misery…" she stammered. 

                The man bowed his head and disappeared; but not before she got to say goodbye to her love. 

With that, the woman fell limp in her arms--as cold as the world around them.

Month 7th

            The month after came like it had taken years. The quietness of the empty house was overwhelming, and the widow found herself depressed and lonely. 

That is, until the man presented himself once more. 

"How may I break your heart today?" he asked for the last time. 

It was silent for a beat. 

"Let me live." she answered quietly. 

For once, the man became puzzled at the response. 

"How may I break your heart today?" he repeated. 

The woman bowed her head and wept. 

"Let me live." she cried. 

With a heavy heart the man understood what she was asking for. 

And so he did. 

             Seven days later she died alone.

The man never came again. 

And the Witch was satisfied as ever.

[the end]