Chapter 24

When Cole pulled into the station, he got out of the car and walking around he picked Miranda up and carried her inside. She looked up at him sleepily. "Go back to sleep. I'll just put you on the couch in the break room and tell everyone to leave you alone for a bit."

"Thanks, Cole," she yawned.

He nodded and walking inside with her, he did as he said he would, then finding a blanket he covered her up, kissed her softly, then left the room, after shutting off the light. She was already asleep again.

"The detective is sleeping in there, do not disturb her," he warned the officers. They nodded at him and went back to their work.

It didn't seem too much longer when she was being shaken awake. She opened her eyes to see Tyler grinning down at her. "Hey sleepyhead, it's dawn, ready to go bust a chop shop?"

"Sure," she said, sitting up and stretching, "I must have been exhausted, I slept on a vinyl couch."

He laughed and helped her up. "Want to change? I brought you some clothes," he told her.

"Thanks, Tyler. Where is Cole?"

"Chief sent him home to get some sleep. I had a good few hours so I am good to go."

"Good," she yawned and got up as he handed her the clothes. The two of them walked out into the precinct. The precinct was packed. Several men and women stood around, talking. They all looked her way when she wandered out. Chuck started to clap when he saw her, and then he was joined by everyone else until there was thunderous applause. Chief Stratton appeared by her side then. "Agents, and officers, I would like you to meet Detective Miranda Dylan," he grinned.

Everyone clapped again.

"Hey Miranda, will you come work with me?" an officer asked, "you could arrest me anytime," he grinned.

Everyone laughed at the man. Miranda only shook her head at the comment.

"Will you marry me, detective?" Chuck asked her.

"Sorry, already taken," she smiled at him.

"By who, him?" an officer asked, nodding at Tyler.

"No, he's more handsome," Miranda grinned.

"Ouch, that hurt," Tyler said, amid laughter.

"I'm going to go and change," she said, looking at him. "Give me a few and then we can get to work."

He nodded and watched her head away.

The Chief patted him on the shoulder. "You have my sympathies."

"For what?"

"Loving a woman whose heart is already taken."

"Yeah, I know. Cole is obsessed with her."

The Chief chuckled. "Yes, he is. He told me that he felt like an ass after finding out he shot his own girlfriend. He still feels guilty over that one."

"Yeah, so he said," Tyler chuckled. "And I am sure down the road when he is making her feel guilty about something, she'll bring that up to shut him up."

Both men laughed at that one.

Miranda walked up to them a couple of minutes later in jeans and a t-shirt.
"Okay, good to go. You ready Tyler?"

He nodded.

"We are doing this my way though. I go in first, then you follow with backup."

"No, that is too dangerous."