Chapter 43

Tyrone walked back into the room a few minutes later. He looked pretty ticked off.

"Look what I found, a transmitter," he said, opening his hand to show a very tiny black dot.

"A transmitter?" Miranda asked, playing dumb.

"Your earrings were bugged," he told her, "did you know that?"

"Did you bug them, Tyrone? Why would you do that, do you not trust me?"

"You bugged these," he snarled, "I don't know how you did it, but you will pay for it, detective."

"Why do you call me that?"

He leaned down over her. "Don't play stupid with me," he snarled, then slapped her.

She winced. "You will die in a few hours," he assured her, then walked out.

Great, now she was in for it, she sighed. She waited until he retreated, then pulled her gun out from under her pillow, it was time to escape.

In his room, Tyrone slipped the computer chip into his computer, made a few adjustments, then satisfied his prisoner would not escape, he went to bed. He needed some sleep, then he would deal with the detective.

"He used the chip!" Cole shouted a few minutes later. He then got on the radio and alerted all of the officers. He ran to his car, Tyler hopping in with him.

"We are so close," Cole grinned, as he raced to their destination.

Tyrone decided he didn't want to wait to see the detective die quite yet, she had acted quite surprised when he had shown her the transmitter. Maybe she really did have amnesia. If she didn't, she was an excellent actress.

When he walked back into her room, she was sitting on the bed, her head down, looking sad.

"It is a fine day to die," he smirked at her, wanting to see her reaction.

She looked up at him. "Is it?" she asked calmly.

"You seem very calm, considering I am thinking of killing you."

She shrugged. "If you think you can. Tell me, Tyrone, do you still have that computer chip?" she asked.

"Yes. Wait, how did you know I had that?"

"I saw you with it," she shrugged. "Did you use it?"

"Why?"

"Oh, just wondering, because it has a tracking device on it," she suddenly grinned.

"What?" he screamed angrily. He reached for his gun, but Miranda already had hers out and shot him in the chest. He squeezed off a shot as he fell, hitting her in the collar bone.

She grimaced as pain soared through her. The door slammed open then and she shot the two men, they hit the floor dead. She kicked away Tyrone's gun as she stood, blood dripping down her arm.

She looked down at Tyrone. He was clutching his chest and wheezing. He coughed up some blood. "Nice knowing you Tyrone," she said, then took the computer chip from his grasp and walked out, but not before she grabbed the guards' guns. She wasn't going to go down without a fight, she decided as she ran out the door. Several guards were headed her way.

"Hurry," she told them, "Tyrone and I were just shot by one of his guards, it's a mutiny," she gasped.

They nodded and ran into the house and up the stairs. Miranda ran to Tyrone's car and jumping inside she started the car, and drove out of the gates, the guards not even worrying that she was leaving, as they were all headed to see what was going on inside.

Miranda drove for how long she wasn't sure. But the pain in her shoulder was unbelievable. She couldn't control the car, and in desperation she jerked the steering wheel, sending it down an embankment. She hit her head on the steering wheel as it hit a tree. Her last coherent thought was " please let the cops find me," but they didn't. They didn't even notice the car down the embankment as they sped to Tyrone's. When the officers rushed the house, the men gave in too easily.

"Where is Tyrone!" Tyler yelled.

One of the terrorists pointed up the stairs, Tyler and Cole took the steps two at a time, and ran into the room. Tyrone was lying on the bed.

He laughed weakly when they walked in.

"Where is she?" Tyler yelled.

"You are too late," he gasped.

"Where is she?" Cole said, shaking the dying man.

"I told you, you are too late, she is dead," he choked out. "I killed her, and you will never find her body. If you want proof go look across the hall. The bed is covered in her blood," he smiled weakly. "My men took her body and dumped it somewhere. Check my gun, a bullet is missing," he said as he gasped for air. "Ask them, I shot her, she tricked me."

"It looks like she got you too," Tyler frowned.

"I don't care, I got my revenge," he said and then closing his eyes, he passed away.

Cole shook his head, "It can't be true, I don't believe it," he whispered.

An officer walked into the room then. "The bed across the hall is covered in blood."

Cole went very pale. "Check that blood, make sure it is hers. And you guys go ask Tyrone's guards and see where Tyrone took her body."

Several officers nodded and headed out of the room, while the coroners came in to bag up Tyrone's body. Cole stood there, watching him load them up, wondering if Miranda was truly dead.

Tyler glanced at Cole, feeling awful. He nodded at him, and the two men left the room. Just as they headed down the stairs an officer ran back into the home. "One of those guys said that Miranda drove out of here, she was bleeding pretty badly, she was driving a dark Cadillac."

"Find it!" Tyler roared.

The man nodded and headed back out the door.

"She's alive?" Cole asked.

"But for how long?" Tyler asked as he and Cole headed out to see if they could find Miranda.