The Last Chance

I hesitated at first but agreed at least.
"Alright", I said shy and took his hand.

"You know my dear I don't have much time, I canceled the recording sessions with Teddy and Rod", he began.
"And what is your intension now?", I asked, "Wanna 'get me back' or something?".
He breathed and stopped walking, "Diane", he whispered under his breath and turned his face towards me.
"I know I've done many things wrong in the past years, and probably the biggest mistake was to marry Lisa, but you also have to understand me".
My eyebrows narrowed, I can't believe it, it's not just like 'Oh you're gone – well whatever'.
But I was willing to give him a chance.

"Are you listening?", he interrupted my thoughts.
"Uh.. yes sure, please go on I'm listening", I said now facing him.
"What I was going to say is, you need to know that I really felt love for her, I never would've married her if there were nothing between us", he explained.
"But that doesn't meant that I never forgot about you, there was not one single day that your thought not crossed my mind, on some days it really got onto me and I was just sitting there in my library, reading books and got nostalgic because of every memory we made together".
I felt my tears bowl into my eyes, it hurts to hear something like that, and on the other hand it made me proud that he never stopped to think about us.

We came across the big oak tree right on the entrance to the forest nearby.
"I hope you don't mind if I'm taking a quick rest, my legs are hurting", I smiled satting me down in the gras.
"No that's fine, I love it to sit under trees, it's so peaceful".

"Thank you for being this honest to me Michael", I spoke after a while of silence.
"But I need to overthink this whole thing", I continued, "I've gone through many horrible things and the worst was probably to loose this little wonder we made", a tear ran down my cheek, after all this years it's still hard to talk about this tragic.
"It wasn't even the pain that got me in mind, even more the fact that our child died before it actually was ready to live".
I couldn't take his expressions at this moment, it's hard to see him sad.
I sighed.
"Would you mind if I cuddle myself up on you?", I mumbled.
His look softened a little as he wrapped his arm around me, without any word he shyly smiled and pulled me close to him.
We didn't need any words, at this point I think everything that was urgent to say was done.

We must have fallen asleep halfway through our talk.
Heavy raindrops crashed down my forehead that caused me to wake up.
"Ugh", I groaned blinking and looking around.
It was already dark as the rain started to pour down on us.
"Michael wake up", I patted his arm.
He carefully opened his eyes.
"Michael we need to go back inside, the rain started to fall", I rushed.
"And it's getting cold, come on get up".
He quickly shock his head getting up, as we rushed back to the house of my parents.
Completely soaked we slammed the door behind us.
I looked at him, "Wow you actually look very good when you're wet", I giggled.
He laughed, "Yeah not only me of course".
"You're also quite fine Ms.".
It melt my heart to hear him like this.
This day gave me everything that I missed all those years.