Part Four - Virgil

I heard harsh breathing, almost that of a panting dog. It slowly awoke me from my slumber. It smelled awful; like garbage or something that died gruesomely. It smelled an awful lot like...like...Remus.

My eyes shot open at that thought, seeing the darkly dressed man towering above me. He had his tongue out and a giddy face. He was positioned so I was under him. A cold sweat came down my neck and my breathing grew harsh. His stench made it hard to breathe so I didn't know what to do.

"Deceit told me to wake you up. He didn't specify how." He whispered. His face came closer to me. He licked my neck, all the way down to my hand, giving me chills all through my body. "Breakfast should be ready soon." With that, he jumped off of me and bolted wildly out the door.

Once I heard his footsteps tramp down the hall, I ran into my bathroom for a shower. I didn't want to go anywhere knowing his germs and diseases were on me. I took my sweet time washing myself. I enjoyed the boiling water and how to made my skin scream. It was a little hug after I stopped feeling it.

Once done, I dried myself off and placed myself in the same clothes I wore yesterday. I decided to brave it and head downstairs. I could see Remus draped over the couch, his leg delicately around the strange wet spot. I wandered into the kitchen, seeing Deceit standing over the stove. Next to him was a plate full of little black circles.

"Morning, D-Deceit." I greeted, trying to be polite.

"Hey." He grumbled. He flipped another black circle onto the plate, turning off the stove. He shoved the plate in my hand, sending a wafting sent of ashes and sugar into my nose. "Put that on the table." He directed me. I did as told, setting the burnt pancakes on the table.

"Oh, breakfast!" Remus said, slamming down into his chair. He scooped three pancakes into his hands and shoved them in his mouth. I was slightly baffled at his actions, but I think I was growing used to it. I didn't like that.

"Eat up!" Deceit said, bringing back some butter and syrup. I thought some syrup might help the pancakes, only to find the sticky liquid was stuck to the bottom of the container. I sighed, too hungry to not eat.

I picked up a pancake with my hand and took a bite. All I could taste was ash. It was flaking in my mouth, staining my teeth with the dark aftermath. I decided to give up and just get myself some water. As I did, Remus and Deceit finished up. They stood up, talking quietly to each other. It was something they obviously didn't want me to hear but my anxiety was sat upon my shoulders.

"Virgil." Deceit finally called. "We want to show you something." With that, the two lead me down a hallway by the stairs. The floor boards didn't creak as much down here, telling me that they didn't go over here that much.

Remus opened a door, showing me a small room with a giant control panel and screens in it. It was magical. There was a bright panel with three control areas. One was yellow. The other was green. And the final one...purple. Their were two screens above each panel with a keypad and some buttons.

I didn't know why, but my feet mindlessly stepped closer. I was pulled back by a strong grasp however. Deceit had my hood in his hand, a snarl on his face. "YOU ARE NOT TO GO NEAR THAT THING!" He yelled, not helping the already forming tears. "It is dangerous. It's a direct link to the Light Sides. Need I remind you, the Light Sides want out heads. And is they who will have it, if you fucking touch this thing!" He hollered at me. I nodded, shaking in fear.

His posture shifted back to a fancier look. Remus kindly pushed me out of the room, back into the living room. "I hope you heed my warnings, Virgil. I'd hate to see Thomas' paranoia suddenly disappear." Deceit hummed lowly. I nodded, scurrying upstairs to my room so they wouldn't see me cry.

I crashed into bed, hugging one of my soft pillows. I cried into it, feeling my panic ease. My eyes grew heavy as I slowly gave into the sleep digging at me.

I woke up a couple hours later. My legs were going numb from their position. I shook them out, sending pins and needles all through them. Fully sitting up now, I noticed how hungry I had become. My body was craving something I was too afraid to give it. I didn't want to poison myself. Again.

I decided to go to the kitchen anyway. I'll just get some more water. I pulled my jacket tighter on me, carefully moving out of my room and down the breaking stairs. I came to the bottom. The house was still. As if there had never been any life in this house at all.

I tried to remember the route to the kitchen, but it got increasingly difficult in the dark.

I must've gone down a wrong hallway, as I hit my head against a door. I rubbed my forehead, feeling the subtle pain settle in. I could see multicolored lights come from the gap under the door. It looked like a disco was just past this door. That's when I realized, this was the control panel's room.

I looked behind me. No one there. My paranoia was getting the best of me. I couldn't contain my interests anymore. They told me not to go in here but I couldn't help it.  I opened the door, seeing the three yellow, green, and purple panels.

It was so odd. I felt attached to the purple panel. I walked closer to it. The panel seemed to light up as I grew closer. I placed my hand gently on the keypad. The screen in front of me lit up. The top of the screen read: Central Command. Without knowing any better. I typed into the keypad.

Hello?