Part 6 Flagged

"Have you set up a meeting with the Porter team yet?" A soft feminine voice caught me by surprise and I paused in my tracks.

Cameron bumped into the back of me. His arm shot down to catch me around the waist as I stumbled forward. He gave me a light squeeze urging me to continue on. Once we cleared the hallway I could see most of the Living room. 

Sabbatian and Mateo were seated facing the direction that Cameron and I had just entered which made it easy to see their faces. They did not look pleased with our guest.

Cameron nudged me toward the couch and directed me to sit down between Tao and Sab. Sab immediately pulled me into his lap instead and Cameron took the seat he had tried to give me.

Now that I was facing the other couch I could see the woman sitting wit Aydan and Theo. My brow furrowed as I recognized Doctor Sanders. She gave me a sideways glance through her glasses. It was tinged with a familiar twinkle of disapproval when her eyes flickered down to Sab's arms but she stayed turned toward Theo and Aydan.

"We have." Theo answered.

"Soon I hope?" She said focusing back on Theo.

"Tomorrow." Aydan said. "But we know you didn't come here to discuss the Porter team."

"What I came here to discuss is sensitive." She said with a pointed glance in my direction.

"She stays." Aydan said.

"Aydan..." She sighed.

"She stays. We both know that this team is to valuable to the academy for them to drop us and we refuse to continue with anything she would need to be excluded from." Aydan said.

"And you've all agreed to this?" She asked looking around at the others.

She received identical nods from each of the guys. Her eyes finally paused when they met mine. Her intense gaze made me shift uncomfortably on Sab's lap. His arms tightened. 

"So far it seems that the Sherwood's are keeping to a silent investigation. They have begun looking into any of her known associates. Theodore, Matteo, and Sabbatian have all been flagged as have you." She said turning her eyes back to Aydan. 

"However they have yet to make an official report which means there is still time." She added.

"Time for what?" Theo asked sitting forward to place his elbows on his knees. He looked even more disapproving than usual. I glanced around at the others. Everyone except for Aydan seemed to be tense.

"There is a proper way to do this. One in which the authorities will have no cause to consider foul play." She said.

"What is that you want us to do?" Cam asked.

"Nothing. What we want is for Victoria to return home so that she can leave a proper message about her intention, to get away from her parents, from there we will be able to continue the extraction protocol safely." She said.

"Absolutely not." Aydan dismissed.

"She's not going back." Theo agreed almost instantly.

"Perhaps you do not understand the gravity of the situation. Given the circumstance and the reach that Ms. Sherwood's parents have continuing down this path will only lead to disaster. Once her parents decide they no longer wish to wait for their daughter to return they will be ruthless in their search. Her picture will go out as an Amber alert all over this and neighboring states. Her picture will be on every news channel, every paper, and a man hunt will begin for everyone that they know was involved in her life. This is not just some girl you've helped. You've kidnapped a prodigy."  She said and turned back to look at me.