in my memory your traces spread

we're near the end

but we have so much more to fear

our family is in war

and our children are suffering

another crisis has come

why does

god

hate us?

***

it was two in the morning when it happened, hongseok and crystal had been sleeping in the same bed that night, but crystal couldn't sleep, she was having contractions. she was seven months pregnant, and having contractions. at first she just brushed it off thinking that it would be fine. but then her water broke, and she shook hongseok awake.

"what's wrong?" he asked tired, "my water broke." she whispered carefully, holding her stomach in pain.

the two quickly arrived at the hospital, and were immediatley taken back to a room. hongseok was nervously holding crystal's hand. it was too early for this to be happening, and the doctors didn't let hongseok go back.

as hongseok was sitting in the waiting room he was reminded of things, of memories.

'the sun was bright that day, hoetaek had been complaining about it on the way to the hospital, it was time for shinwon and nayoung to be born.' little hongseok was barely one at the time, but with how many times jinho told him the story, he had seemed to remember it. 'it was the first birth of one of his brothers that jinho could remember, shinwon was the first to be remembered by the brothers. the sun was bright when they arrived to the hospital, and five minutes before shinwon and nayoung were expected to be born. but then four minutes before, it started downpouring in rain. shinwon had been in the rain since the day he was born, and the day they took him home from the ICU, traffic had been stopped because of rain. now that he thinks about it, every big moment that has ever happened for shinwon, happened while it was raining outside.'

'it was a three years after the twins and yuto had been born. it was spring break at the time and they were all playing outside, jinho and hoetaek running around singing the wrong lyrics to songs, hyojong and hongseok wrestling each other over a toy, shinwon helping changgu watercolor paint something unidentifiable, yanan and yuto were playing in the grass and the other twins were playing tag. there was joy on all their faces, and the perfectly green grass was the best to roll around in,' but now even the grass is still perfectly green it feels tacky.

' it was changgu's eleventh birthday, and the boys had all gotten him gifts, mainly paint sets, and a t-shirt from a fourteen year old jinho. that was when changgu started really painting, he would make these beautiful paintings, he even painted a picture of all of them once, the only picture of all of them. the boys had all become accustom to the specks of paint all around the house. the touch of color made from the boys happiness gave them even more happiness.' changgu hasn't painted anything in months, it was obvious he was no longer happy.

back at the old house, jinho always sung changgu to sleep, sometimes he would even play a recording of yanan or another brother and sing along with them. it was beautiful what things can do to you, beautifully painful.

'jinho was a sophmore in high school and pulled a prank, he filled the principal's office with plastic cups full of paint. when he arrived home with a suspension that day all the boys congratulated him and told him how awesome he was, but his parents beat the boy. and he didn't tell anyone, rather he turned into the jinho we know today, he turned into Mr. and Mrs. Jo's Son, rather than Jo Jinho. and know look at where we are,' jinho didn't want it to turn out like this.

and as hongseok shook his memories away he heard a doctor call his name, "yes?" he asked concerned. "mr.jo...congratulations. you can go see your wife now, your daughter is in an incubater." the doctor explained guiding hongseok to the back where crystal was looking at this small human inside the incubater, her eyes full of love.

"Jo Juno Gi-Gyeong." crystal smiled, "Jo Juno Gi-Gyeong." hongseok repeated a smile on his face.