15: problems came about

Tanya continued to run her mouth efficiently as she pointed over the map here and there in her discussion.

"To state the fact that their defensive line is weak now, we can easily progress and take it without problems." Tanya said before looking over the higher-ups that sat before her.

"That's quite the strategy and planning, major Degurechaff." Maxiliam commented.

'Great, that'll do just fine for now and I'll be able to buy her some time to snoop around a bit more.' Tanya's thoughts measured her confidence mentally when she nodded over Maxiliam's comment.

"Yes indeed, but may I ask where you got such piece of information?" Zettour asked.

Tanya felt mentally weighed as soon as that question struck her without warning.

'Shit! I can't just say I have an ally in there, knowing that Being X is probably listening, they might suspect me!' Tanya thought as she stood there, trying to find the right words to use as an explanation.

'Perhaps stating the fact that there was a defector who helped, that might do the trick!' she continued her chain of thoughts before opening her mouth to answer back.

"There was a defector while we were in the process of destroying the spy base, she told everything and how she was kidnapped and made a soldier there." Tanya answered.

"Quite the story, may I ask what this detector's name is?" Lerhgen asked.

'You've got to be kidding!??' Tanya thought as she tried not to gulp when she was struck with another question.

'Think! What can get that question answered!??' she continued before an answer came in mind to speak.

"Well... I didn't get her name because she was on the verge of dying by bleeding on her chest." Tanya lied with full sympathy to make it more believable.

'Is she feeling sympathy over a loss of someone..!?' Maxiliam thought as he stared over Tanya's expression.

'That can't be...she must be feeling grief over the loss of an innocent civilian.' Zettour thought as he immediately faked a quick cough to grab the attention towards him.

"Well, we thank you for your..." Zettour began as he tried to find the perfect word for Tanya's plans for attacking.

Tanya held him back though while saying, "no need to give too much gratitude just yet, sir."

Zettour sighed before nodding.

Tanya was really dying from the smoke in the air. She could feel her throat becoming dry as she made sure to maintain her sanity and full on consciousness before being able to take her leave.

"Something seemed a bit off, don't you think?" Zettour began before lighting another cigarette.

"Hmm..? What would that be?" Maxiliam asked before huffing out smoke.

"She spoke that there was a defector and yet, she also said they were from the empire." Zettour said.

"Something seems wrong to that indeed, but she might be telling the truth as well.." Maxiliam countered.

Lerhgen stayed quiet while examining the papers that Tanya had passed. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary anywhere except for one particular detail which made him widen his eyes for a quick second.

"Is something the matter, Lerhgen?" Zettour asked.

"No, no... it's nothing to be of worry." Lerhgen brushed off.

...

Tanya turned a hall and tried to ignore the shouting of her name.

Schugel wasn't giving up easily.

"Major Degurechaff!" He yelled as he tried to catch up to the blonde child who was walking fast while trying not to run in each passing turn.

Schugel stopped and took a quick breather this time before trying to catch up, but alas Tanya made it inside her office and shut the door with an immediate click from the lock.

Tanya let out a deep sigh of relief and let herself slip down with her back still resting by the brown door. She hummed before curling up and hugging herself without concern about her surroundings

"Is something wrong, captain?" With a question flung in the air, it made Tanya jump and look around to see Weiss a few meters away from her with Visha.

The silence was what Weiss and Visha got as they continued to stare at their captain who was still curled up hugging themselves.

'Why on earth are they here!?? I thought I told them they were free to do whatever they want after they finish their jobs!??' Tanya thought as she stared back at both the lieutenants

"What are you two doing here?" Tanya broke the thin ice as soon as a few seconds had passed so suddenly.

Weiss quickly snapped from the trance and opened his mouth to speak.

"We're here to deliver two boxes, captain." Weiss said.

"Two boxes..?" Tanya hummed as she stood up and dusted herself a bit before making her way over to the two boxes which sat idly beside her desk.

"From who?" She asked as soon as she caressed it a bit by the edges.

The box seemed new, untouched yet favored a lot.

"We don't know, captain. I and second luitenant Serebryakov just found it outside with your name written in ink by what seemed to be by finger near the stairs." Weiss answered.

Tanya stared at the box for a while, suspicion in her eyes before slowly taking the top seal of the box by the right side. Gently opening it, she was met by a discovery that made her flush and cover the box back. She felt excitement and joy to say the least.

While averting gaze she commanded the two adults to leave immediately.

Visha and Weiss gave flustered looks when they saluted once more before leaving the office.

Walking down the hallway, they were greeted by Schugel who was waiting by a light brown door.

"Dr. Schugel, what are you doing here?" Visha asked.

"Ah... lieutenants.. I was hoping to speak with Tanya privately of a few matters in hand for a new type for her to test, but I think she's afraid of me." Schugel said before letting a distressed sigh out loud.

"Major is afraid of you..?" Weiss asked.