25: saved from the nightmare caused by a fever a year ago

Tanya jolted back away in her bed, sweating wildly while scanning her empty room.

"Oh...it was just a weird dream..." She said with a relieved sigh as she plopped back down on her bed.

Sighing once more, she stood up and got herself ready for the day.

'It's already been a year already, where is she now??' Tanya thought as she walked out of her sleeping quarter to attend to her usual morning routine.

"Good morning, second luitenant Serebryakov." Tanya said as she gave the acknowledgment of saluting back to her older subordinate.

"Good morning too, captain." Visha said after Tanya greeted her.

"Anything new?" Tanya asked as she walked inside her office followed by Visha who had a stack of paperwork in both hands.

"Yes, captain." Visha said.

"What is it?" Tanya asked.

"You're given a holiday." Visha answered.

Tanya was flabbergasted.

"What!?" She said.

"General Maxiliam decided to give you a one week holiday, captain." Visha repeated.

Tanya hummed as she sat down and clasped both hands together in front of the desk.

'I have a one week holiday?' she thought.

'That's too sudden and weird.' she chained her thought before sighing as Visha placed half of the stack of paperwork she had down on Tanya's desk.

"How about you?" Tanya asked as she took a peek in one of the files.

"Me?" Visha asked while pointing a finger at herself.

"Yes, you. Were you also given a short holiday?" Tanya said.

Visha declined.

"No, captain...well, the general said he felt bad you were always working so he decided to give you a one week holiday." She explained.

Tanya nodded in understanding as she dipped the quilt in the small jar of ink.

Then there was a knock.

Visha opened it to meet an elderly woman, it was a nun.

"Excuse me, is this Tanya's office?" The elderly asked.

"Captain? Someone is looking for you." Visha called out.

Tanya raised a brow and calmly walked over to the half-open door.

"Oh, sister Mary...what brings you here?" Tanya asked with a small yet warm smile.

Mary chuckled before her explanation made way to Tanya feeling somewhat ashamed and confused.

"I see..." Tanya mumbled.

...

Tanya sighed as the sudden sound of static came about from the gifted radio in hand.

'What on earth happened?' she thought as she waited for any sort of response from the radio.

But nothing came about from it at all, and she was losing a lot of hope too. It really has been a year since she lost all contact and the only contact she had with her twin.

"Tanya, what are you do--...!?" As soon as Mary went to check up on Tanya, she was immediately greeted by a heavy grudge and sadness when she saw Tanya alone staring out in the open window of the bright moon litted night sky.

Only one picture presented her in her head.

"Why are we supposed to sit here again?" Tanya asked as she stared out the open window.

Tania shrugged.

"You're...weird..." Tanya hummed as soon as she turned to look at Tania.

"I'm pretty sure nothing's been ever normal with us." Tania said.

They stared for a while before laughing together.

"You were both so young back then..." Mary mumbled as she wiped a small tear from her left eye.

She stared at Tanya for a little more before walking off, she didn't want to bother Tanya that much, considering Tanya reluctantly agreed on spending the whole week of break back in the same orphanage when Mary asked her.

'Pick up the radio already...' Tanya pondered to herself as she listened to more quiet statics coming out of the radio.

Somehow, she felt this urge to fear that something terrible had suddenly happened. It felt bad, it was lingering with crippling anxiety from head to toe.

Then like a miracle that Tanya doesn't believe in, the radio finally picked itself up from the dreadful static it kept on making for a year.

"Hello?"

Tanya gleamed up and took the radio up close.

"Hey, what took you so long?" She asked.

Tania laughed on the other end before faking a cough for her explanation.

"I accidentally dropped my radio off of a tall tree which took me a lot of time to fix," she said.

Tanya grumbled.

"Wow...what a lovely explanation....." She commented.

"Hey! It was hard knowing a small inner part got extremely damaged that I had to find a way to get it fixed or find a similar one that can work to only connect to the radio you have!" Tania scoffed before huffing loud and clear on the other end.

Tanya laughed as she held the radio a bit closer to her face.

"Hey, it's already been a year or something, what are you even doing?" Tanya asked.

Tania faked an exasperated gasp on the other end before apologizing.

"I am so sorry, baby sister! You thought I'm forgetting but no, I'm actually on my way!" She cheered on the other end.

Tanya gave a surprised hum in response.

"Are you serious!?" She asked in petrifying excitement.

Tania chuckled.

"Yep, I'm just err... having a hard time with Vess." she said.

"Vess? Who's Vess??" Tanya asked as she looked out the open window of the dark room.

"Oh, he's one of my pawns in each of my schemes. After all, the war has ended but some civilians and soldiers got away by the harbor, I know." Tania said.

Tanya sighed.

"Yeah, they did get away." She frowned.

There was silence as the two didn't give any sort of response back.

Until Tania spoke.

"Anyways, I've got a special gift for you when I come back!" She exclaimed.

Tanya smiled.

"Oh? And what's that?" She asked in sheer anticipation.

"It's a surprise and I think you like this kind of food, I mean they are squid in circle fried bread things, after all, somehow I forgot what they're called now. Funny." Tania said.

Tanya smirked, she knew what they were and she, of course, enjoy those kinds of treats whenever she felt like eating it when she was still a wealthy and strict businessman.

"So when are you coming back?" Tanya asked after a short while.

"Who knows? Maybe next week or this week." Tania said before mischievously chuckling and in which only made Tanya feel more anticipation of her return.