Chapter 4

Katniss' POV

It's been 10 days. I can't take it anymore, my anxiousness is getting the best of me. I get dressed, and for the first time in a long time, I actually have this urge to do something, besides hunting. It feels really nice.
It's a beautiful spring morning. Peeta is probably still asleep, but I really don't care and I don't think he will either. I love him, okay there I said it, I love him and I don't want to spend one more second without him. I knock on the door, I hear the lock unlatch, until slowly the door opens.

Peeta's POV

I wake up to a knock on the front door. I go downstairs, unlock the front door and slowly open it. It's Katniss. No, no this can't be happening, I didn't expect her so soon. I promised myself I would stay away from her until the 30 day were up. It's only been 10. "Hi Peeta" she exclaims.
Before she could say or do anything else, I slam the door in her face. It hurt me so much and I know it hurt her just as much maybe even more. I just don't want to take the chance of hurting her again. I stay by the door to see if she says anything, but all I can hear is her start to cry and then she runs off. I look out the window to see where she is headed. It looks as if she is going to the woods.

Katniss' POV

I was absolutely stunned when the door slammed in my face. I was wrong, I guess I'll never have my boy with the bread back. I start crying and run off to the woods. I'm still trying to figure out if this is real. Even though I know it is. I can't lie to myself for the rest of my life so I finally decide to except the pain. I go to the pond where my father taught me how to swim. I'm hoping this will make me feel better.
After a few hours I go to Haymitch's house. I don't even bother to knock I just walk in. When he sees me he asks "What's the matter sweetheart?"
I guess he could tell I was crying.
"Let me have a few drinks and then I'll tell you."
"Now that's something I like to hear!" He says with this smirk on his face.
After a few drinks, I explain everything. It seemed like he wasn't even listening.
After a few minutes of what I'm assuming trying to sort everything out I just told him, he finally responds.
"Well, it seems as if you've had an interesting day..."
"What am I suppose to do, I love Peeta!" I practically shout at him.
Wait, what? Did I just say I love Peeta out loud? "
I thought when he came home and in the right frame of mind, he would would love me again, too." I sound so desperate now, but I really don't care.
I mean I'm talking to Haymitch for love advice for goodness sake. "But I guess I was wrong."
"No, you weren't wrong, Peeta does love you. He just doesn't want to hurt you."
"Well, he already has!" I'm so fired up right now, I'm sure the drinks didn't help though. "Katniss, you don't understand. He does love you."
"What?" I've calmed down now.
"Even though he is home, he isn't completely well yet."
"What do you mean?" Now I'm getting concerned.
"He has to take a pill for 30 days and then he will never have the hallucinations again, but until the 30 days are up, he still has a chance of going psychotic. He just doesn't want to hurt you."
Once he got done saying that, I felt so stupid. I judged Peeta way to quickly.
"Oh, um, well thank you for telling me that. I... I have to go, I'll see you later Haymitch."
I practically run out the front door and to my house. I decide to just sit on the front porch steps and think about what Haymitch said for awhile.
I watch the sunset and it's the color of orange that Peeta just loves. Once it's completely set I go inside and sit on the couch. I start to think about whenever I had nightmares, Peeta was there. I'm particularly think about when we were on the victors tours, I asked if he would stay with me. He said yeah and once I lay head on his chest and we are comfy he says "always". I eventually fall asleep on that thought.

Peeta's POV

Just knowing I hurt the love of my life, makes me hurt. I spend a long time crying and questioning myself. I finally stop and clean myself up. Then I go into the kitchen and start to make some cheese buns.I know there Katniss' favorite. I think I might sneak some into her house later when she's asleep. I hope she'll forgive me.
Once the cheese buns are done baking, I let them cool for a few and wrapped them neatly in a basket. I stepped outside into the cold air and headed over to her house. I quietly looked in the window to make sure the coast was clear and headed in. Once I'm inside I head straight for the kitchen , but on my way I hear a soft stirring noise. I peek around the corner and see her sprawled out on the couch. She seems so peaceful and beautiful. It's all I can do to not go up and cuddle with her. But not after today. So I make my way to the kitchen.
Katniss POV
I wake up to the faint sound I someone stumbling around. I freeze hoping they haven't seen me already. I heard whoever was here close the the front door. I stand up and take a deep breath. Do I smell cheese buns? I walk into the kitchen and see them nicely placed into a basket. Only one person knows how to make cheese buns like this. Peeta was here.
I'm so glad I went to Haymitch's when he explained what Peeta was doing all the pieces just fell together. He still loves me. Or so I hope. Peeta is the most selfless person I've ever met. That is only of he many reasons why I miss him so much. Only 20 days left I just hope I can make it but this time I'll let him come to me when he wants to.