Chapter Fifty-Four

My classes seem like they take forever. As soon as I'm dismissed for the day, I walk out of the building and I'm greeted by a warm smile.

"How was the classes?" Link asks me.

"Long and boring," I reply as we begin to walk across the grass in front of the building.

It's about three o'clock now, and I really need to go home and get ready for my.. date? Friend date? I'm not sure what to consider this 'going out' event, but it doesn't matter.

Whenever we're stopped in front of my building, he turns to me and says, "I'll be here at seven, just get dressed and try not to worry about bringing anything."

I grin. He knows me too well, even after the years of not speaking.

We hug and say our goodbye's and I make my way through the building to my room.

When I reach the top of the stairs, I'm stopped in my tracks to see Collin sitting on the floor and leaning against my door.

"Why are you here?" I ask him as I walk by him to open the door.

"To see you, where have you been?" He asks as he stands.

"None of your business," I walk past him and refuse to make eye contact.

"Get dressed, we're going out."

"I can't even if I wanted to," I coldly state, and he stops walking around the room.

"Yeah you can, so get dressed."

"I have a date." I'm still unsure if that's what I should call it, but I like the expression that falls on his face as the words leave my mouth.

"You what? No you don't." He shakes his head like he's trying to believe it.

"I do. He'll be here soon." 

As the words fall into the air, I remember when Collin confronted Link only a little bit ago.

"Why are you trying to hangout with me so much?" 

"Because I like you, remember?" He falls back onto my bed.

"You say you do, but you don't act it." I grab a change of clothes and walk into my closet.

"You don't know anything about me."

I feel myself getting aggravated at him. "Exactly. That's why I don't believe anything you say."

I hear him sigh. "Emory, just let me take you out tonight."

"I'm sorry, but I have plans." I walk out of my closet in a pair of jeans and tied t-shirt.

He takes in my appearance and raises up. "Who are you going with?"

I'm reluctant to answer him. He already threatened Link, and I almost bring it up to him, but I decide against it for now.

"Why are you being nosy?" I ask him.

"Oh my god, just answer me." He groans and uses his hands to rub his eyes.

"Don't you have another girl to chase around?" 

His eyes get wide. I don't know why I said that, but it obviously strikes a nerve with him. 

He stands up. "You know what? Maybe I do." 

He's angry. His eyes are black and his breathing is chopped. I'm satisfied with the reaction I get from him.

 I cross my arms and reply to him. "Go on, then. I'm sure she's lovely."

He doesn't reply, instead he stomps across the room and slams the door behind him.

The air grows thin and I feel a little lost. I've yet to comprehend what power he has over me, and I'm unsure if it's good or bad yet.

After a while of debating, I redo my hair and makeup and find a pair of converse to match my shirt. I keep glancing at myself in the mirror to make sure I look okay. I grab a blanket out of my closet until I remember that Link specifically told me not to take anything.

Right on time, I hear a knock on my door.