Chapter Thirty-Nine

Here I am. Kissing someone I have known a little over a week. I came here with a boyfriend, and this man is not it.

My body warms and I take my hand to touch his sides. He wraps one hand around my face and uses the other to grab my waist. I flinch.

"I'm sorry, I forgot," he says as he pulls away from my mouth.

"It's fine," I reply.

He kisses me again. He uses his hands to guide me to the bed. I flinch at the sting of pain.

"Shit." He stops kissing me to rest his head on the top of mine.

I don't say anything. I sit the rest of the way down on the bed and he stands. "I'm sorry," I say.

My cheeks burn from embarrassment. I feel so small. I stand and walk to the closet to finish getting undressed for bed.

When I'm finished getting dressed, I walk out to see Collin shirtless and laying on the bed. His arms are behind his head and his eyes are closed. His jeans are in a pile on the floor, they're not replaced with a pair of athletic shorts. He must of went to his truck. How long was I in there?

It doesn't matter.I walk over to my bed and sit on the side. I grad the cast and realign it onto my hand. It burns. 

"I'm sorry," he says.

I don't reply. I sink down into the bed and cover myself up. I'm facing away from him.

He crawls under the cover and I can instantly feel the heat from him. I feel at ease. 

His hand rests on my shoulder and he's sitting up on the other one, hovering over me.

"I really am sorry. I forgot about..everything."

"I don't care," I bark. I don't know why I'm attacking him. But he doesn't notice.

"I don't know how to show you that I like you."

I raise up, shocked at the words. "What?"

His expression is cold, regardless of the words he just said. 

"I like you and I don't know how to like someone." He is on both hands now.

"I-- I don't know." Is all I can find to say.

He lays down and places his arms behind his head. I am still.

He's very attractive, but right now he seems vulnerable. He is weak in a way I have never seen.

A few minutes pass and neither of us even move. How can he like me? He doesn't even know me. And I don't know him.

"I don't think you like me," I say and turn to him.

But he's asleep. His mouth is pressed into a straight line and his chest slowly rises and falls, moving the ink on his torso like waves.

I just stare at him. I'm unsure on what to do or to say tomorrow morning, but right now I just need to sleep. I slide down in the bed and cover back up. 

Right as I begin to fall asleep, I feel his arm lay across my waist. I feel something odd course through me. I fall asleep with thoughts of curls and brown eyes.