Chapter Forty

I wake up to the sound of my alarm. I go to sit up but I'm stopped by something, or someone?

I'm too tired to worry about it. My eyes are heavy and I can feel them drying out already.

I look over my shoulder beside me and he's asleep. His mouth is barely parted and he's breathing very light. His curls are all matted up where he's been sleeping on his side all night.

I move Collin's arm off of me and gently lay it on the bed. I tip toe to the closet to get dressed. 

Inside, I grab a pair of shorts and a long sleeve shirt, since it's still early and not too hot out yet.

After I change and step back into the room, he is still sound asleep. I pace over to the door and put my shoes on, careful not to wake him. I succeed. 

I gently grab my keys and close the door behind me.

Outside, the morning air hits me straight in the face and I almost choke on it. I am so exhausted and being up this early isn't helping any. I walk to my car and before I get in I check myself out in the window reflection. This is by far the worst day for my bruises.

I take my hand and rub my eye where it is now completely black. I still can't believe I went through what I did. The thought of it makes my spine shiver and I have to force myself to stop.

I'm jolted back when someone touches my shoulder. "Sorry," he says.

Link is in sweatpants and a hoodie, showing just how tired he is too.

"What are you doing out here?" I ask, looking around for someone else.

"I had a class, we got out early."

I glance at my phone to see that it's 8:25. My appointment is in 5 minutes.

"Shit," I say as I climb in the car.

He laughs. "You want company?"

I think I do, actually. It would be nice to have someone with me during this. But that mean's I would have to tell him what happened.

"Get in," I say as I close my door.

During the ride I tell him everything. He stays silent the whole time and I can tell he's angry with what happened.

"I can't believe that, I'm so sorry."

"I've accepted it. I've had a few meltdowns and nightmares about it, but Collin's been helping a lot."

He shivers as the mention of Collin. "So are you two like what, dating now?"

I laugh, but I don't know why. We're not dating, by any means, but his recent confession of liking me has me confused.

"No," I say.

He doesn't laugh with me, instead he hands me my phone, which is ringing.

I see the name at the top and swipe to answer. "Hello?"

"Where the hell are you?" he barks at me.

I grit my teeth. "Start over," I say.

He sighs. "Why did you leave me here? I wanted to go with you."

"You were asleep."

"Yeah well now you're alone in that town again," he gripes at me.

Right on cue, Link drops his phone between the seat. "Damn," he says.

"Who was that? Who is the hell is with you?" He's getting loud.

"You're not my babysitter," I say and hang up.

I don't know why he is angry all the time. I'm starting to question whether my new.. friendship? Is even worth the energy it drains from me.

A few minutes later we're walking through the parking lot, ten minutes late for the appointment.

I'm in a rush as I walk up the stairs and into the waiting room. No longer than I sign in and sit down a lady comes to the door and says, "Miss Shay?"

Link and I both go back to see the doctor.