⇝ seeing is (not) believing ⇜

NATASHA DID NOT DISAPPOINT FOOD-WISE

After the teenager had agreed to her deal, Natasha had unlocked the cell and led Eva to the elevators, which brought them up to an empty level of the towers.

(Luckily, empty - there were no other avengers to stare at Eva judgingly or create some really uncomfortable tension or whatever.)

When the doors to the elevators opened, Eva dared to glance around, eyeing the large kitchen and the lounge, both having minimal furnishing. This must be one of the more vacant levels, she noted as she walked in further, trailing after Natasha. I'm being isolated. Just a bigger cell.

Fists were forming at her sides, but Natasha paid no attention if she noticed. 

(Which she did.)

"Hungry?" she asked without looking back, and Eva mumbled a "yeah.", unclenching her palms against the side of her legs.

She opened the fridge, and Eva cautiously slipped into a chair at the island, looking around curiously and analytically - Eva was thinking all about the prices of these things. 

This was an expensive building. She should just try hitting this place, next. 

Natasha turned back and Eva quickly pushed the thought out of her head, Holding strawberries and raspberries, Natasha glanced down at Eva's hands. 

"Those stupid handcuffs," she muttered, reaching into her pocket and pulling out an electronic card. Eva watched her hesitantly, and outstretched her hands; Natasha pressed the card against them, and they unlocked, clattering to the marble counter. 

Eva maneuvered her wrists. "Thanks."

Natasha shrugged it off. "I tried to talk Tony out of those," she said, rinsing off the fruit before turning back to the fridge for a half-filled box of pizza. "He was just being petty - want me to warm it up?"

Eva nodded - she was starving, but she was also still very cold. She could wait until the cheese was warm, at least. Plus, she had berries to eat while she waited.

So Natasha put the pizza in the oven, made two glasses of water, and sat down across from Eva.

Eva looked up from the berries but said nothing.

"Oliver Bastino," Natasha tested, seeing if Eva would react; she didn't. Or tried not to, at least - her shoulders did tense. "Your boyfriend or something?"

Eva choked on a strawberry.

She certainly did not expect that. She expected an interrogation, yes, one at a nicer level, but not something as personal as this.

"No, no way," Eva denied, shaking her head for extra effect. "Just friends."

"Friends?" Natasha echoed in confirmation, nodding along.