7: This School Is Going To Hell - Gabriel

"Now you know you went too far, Evan," I scolded my friend, who was humming a chirpy tune. He was ignoring my comments about his insults to Liam, "You hurt his feelings!"

"He was hurting my pride dammit!"

"Bu-"

He interrupted me, "I know you and Kyle aren't as strict on the rules of high school as I am, but if I just lounge while you and he affiliate yourselves with Liam Jenkins, then not only are you two going to lose your popularity, but you're also hurting my empire!"

"Your empire?"

"King of Livingston isn't the only title of status we have around here. Gabe, you make me wanna slap the shit outta you sometimes!"

I rolled me eyes and swore under my breath, "Oh shut up! High school is not just about popularity, how many girls you can fuck in a semester, and your 'title'!"

"It is when the student body has labeled you that way! You don't care that you're the most popular guy in school, do you?!"

"Well it isn't my top priority, Evan! And it shouldn't be yours either! So go in that fucking bathroom, and fucking apology to Liam!"

There was a dangerous showdown of glares between Evan and me. Apparently our voices had escalated loud enough for the nearby tables to hear us. So what? Evan was being a jerk and someone had to put him into check. I understand his vendetta, but that doesn't give him the right to bully someone that's not up to his par in popularity or the 'caste system'.

Daggers were stopped being thrown when Evan stood from his chair, but he was swearing up a storm under his breath. From what he said, he was praising me for standing up to him, but swore he was going to beat my ass later. I leaned back in my chair and eyeballed him as he marched out of the cafeteria.

"Excuse me," a soft, sweet voice called to me while I was distracted. I looked up and smiled at the young lady standing before me. A girl with beautiful, blonde, shoulder-length hair and green-brown eyes looked down at me. Her outfit suggested her as a tomboy, with a pinch of girly: a grey Abercrombie & Fitch t-shirt, blue jeans, and black Nike high-tops, "Gabriel Knight, yes?"

"That's me. How may I help you?"

She sat down next to me and interlaced her fingers on the table, "Bridgette. Bridgette King. Call me Bridge," she had a strong vibe about her, and it felt weird, "I couldn't help but listen in on your conversation with your friend. Evan, was it?"

"Yeah, he can be a handful of trouble. But he's a good friend when it comes down to it. What about him?"

She nodded and replied, "I would just like to thank you for sticking up for Liam. I mean, not many popular people would do that."

"Oh, it's alright. Liam's a good person, and Evan just doesn't believe in us being friendly with the 'commonwealth'."

She laughed and I chuckled alongside her, "Well, we thank you. Listen, Liam's birthday is this weekend and we were wondering if you would like to come to the party we're throwing for him."

My face lit up and I smiled, "I would love to! Is it alright if I invite some friends?"

"Oh. Um. Well."

"What's wrong," she had a panicked look on her face. Like she just did something wrong and couldn't cover it up.

"Well, I know how you guys, as in the popular people, like to party. Our party won't be wild, and it won't have any booze."

I laughed half-heartedly and looked at Bridgette lightly, "Don't worry, I won't bring those guys. Just a few well-behaved ones."

She jumped up with a smile, "Perfect! I'll let you know the address and time tomorrow," I gave her a reassuring nod and let her go on her way before finishing my lunch.