(Things Aren't Okay)

A very special thank you to corrupteddynasty for the fanart above! It's amazing, and I love it. Thank you very much. It's the first made :)
-----------------------------------------------------------

The wind blows through the branches of a tall oak tree, atop which I am seated.

It would be cold, but it feels warm due to my condition. The sound of rustling leaves and bird calls around me is relaxing.

The effect of all these things put together helps calm my internal hurricane of emotions.

There's so many that I'm finding it hard to filter through them. But they're barbed, and drag across my insides.

I'm curled up, with my chin resting on my knees. It's comfortable, and doesn't deprive me of the wonderful view.

Of course, I am not up here alone for long. The branch I'm on dips slightly as another weight is added to its burden.

A flash of honey coloured hair brings a smile to my lips. "How did you find me?"

"I could see your wings from the house. They're very bright compared to the the darkness of the forest."

He doesn't push me for conversation. It's one of the big things I love about him. We can sit in silence, and he doesn't mind.

Personally, I find constant talking tiring. After too long, I get irritable and tend to snap at people. Thankfully, Jasper has always been good at reading my cues, and knows when my social battery runs out.

But it's different with him. In all honesty, he's the only person I could talk endlessly with. His company is a constant blessing, one I hope I never take for-granted.

My head falls sideways to rest on his shoulder. He does the same, his cheek sitting on top of my hair.

"Are you alright?" He asks softly, after a long period of silence.

"I'm fine. Just like I always am."

"No, you're not. I can tell."

"I know."

He takes a breath in, but hesitates before speaking. "...why do you never say anything back, Jordan?"

My eyes roam the sky above us, not able to meet his dark eyes that I know will be shining with understanding and patience.

"Because she's my little sister, Jasper. I know it might not make sense, but through the bigger portion of my life she's all I've had when it comes to family. Apart from James, I never had any friends. Bella is the only person who has always been there. And I guess...I guess I'm afraid that if I say something back she won't be there. That's never been a reality I've had to face."

"It does make sense. I understand. But you cannot let her speak to you like that. You've gone through Hell for her, more than once. You deserve better, love," he says. I don't understand the saddened anger in his voice.

Any reply I had disappears on my lips. What can I say? He's not wrong, but he's also not right.

I have gone through Hell for her. Everything with the vampire, James, and the events of last year, plus many things in our childhood. But that's what sisters do. We look out for each other, watch each other's backs.

However, my defense of Bella dies in my throat when I realise I don't have one. I'm wrong. That's what sister are supposed to do.

But Bella has never done that for me. I mean, she's never had to, because I can deal with things myself...