2

"Hyungie! Hyungie!" 

Jungkook was now three years old and clung to Taehyung like a puppy, but the seven-year-old didn't mind a single bit. He crouched down and caught the boy just as he crashed into him, Jungkook's stuffed bunny left abandoned on the floor. 

"Hi, Kookie," Taehyung giggled and patted his best friend's head.

"Daddy, TaeTae's here!" Jungkook shouted, giving the older boy a chance to take off his shoes and set his bookbag down, then pulled him into the kitchen. 

Mr Jeon was busy making sandwiches for the boys when his son dragged Taehyung over. "See, Daddy? It's TaeTae!" Jungkook cheered, saying other things that didn't sound like actual words; sentences were still a struggle for him. 

Taehyung bowed politely and let his friend lean into his side. 

But Mr Jeon frowned and knelt down to the seven-year-old's height. "Did your hyung leave you again?" he whispered.

Taehyung looked to the floor, giving a small nod. "H-he picked up Jieun, b-but left... me." 

Since Jungkook was still there, he held in his tears; he secretly promised to never cry in front of the younger boy. Mr Jeon noticed, so he cleared his throat and pinched his son's chubby cheek. "Kookie, can you go find a book you want Tae to read to you?" he asked gently, earning a nod as the little boy picked up his stuffed bunny and ran down the hallway. 

Once Jungkook was gone, Mr Jeon pulled Taehyung into his arms and let the boy cry his heart out. "Does your mom know?" he mumbled, earning a nod. 

"Y-yeah, but then h-hyung lies and... and says I-I'm making stuff up... and, and that I-I'm trying t-to get more... more attention." Taehyung heaved a breath, hiccupping a little. "She b-believes him, since he... he's older." 

Mr Jeon's heart clenched at that. The Kims have had family issues for as long as they've been neighbors; Taeil clearly hated having a little brother, but adored his little sister. Mr Kim seemed to be the only person in that house who expressed how proud he was of Taehyung. He was the only one who noticed Taehyung at all. 

All of the fights in the Kim house revolved around Taehyung. 

Little footsteps made their way into the kitchen, revealing Jungkook holding The Lorax by Dr Seuss in his hands, along with his bunny. "Hyungie, can we read?" he asked, resting his head on the older boy's back. 

Taehyung quickly wiped away his tears and bad thoughts before facing his best friend, taking the book from him with a grin. "Of course, Jungkookie. Let's go." 

Jungkook sat in Taehyung's lap while he read, feeling sleepy once the book was finished and set aside. 

"Taehyungie?" His voice was pouty, a sign that he was ready for a nap. 

The older boy hummed and wrapped his arms around Jungkook, holding him like a little teddy bear. 

"I love you, okay? No matter what, I love you a lot. You're the bestest!" 

Taehyung smiled at that and nuzzled his face into the three-year-old's hair. "I love you too, Jungkookie. I love you so much."

They stayed like that until Taehyung's dad came to get him.