VI: Kim Seokjin

Three years later, Taehyung continued on with his life. 

He had dinner with his children once a week like always and finally got his license for music therapy renewed (after taking a refresher course). 

Sometimes, his house was too quiet, too empty, too cold. He missed his husband so much and thought about him every single day. But Taehyung still found ways to be happy, even if he felt like there was no happiness left for him. 

Taehyung took the twins to the store with him; he needed to buy some groceries, but Yeji and Sunwoo were working. 

Taeil walked beside his granddad, obedient as usual and occasionally complaining about being hungry. Taeyong was running around the shopping cart, being an overall nuisance; he was slowly giving Taehyung a headache. 

He looked to Taeil and stopped in a snack aisle. "Pick out one snack, okay? Your brother doesn't get one because he's in trouble," he said quietly, then walked quickly to the other twin, who had accidentally bumped into an older man. 

"Kim Taeyong, I told you to stop running around and now you've hurt this man!" Taehyung scolded, taking the young boy's hand firmly. 

The stranger hummed, offering the two a kind smile. "Oh, let the boy live a little! I learned the hard way too, kiddo," he said, winking at Taeyong. 

"I'm still very sorry, sir," Taeyong bowed, then pouted at Taehyung. "And I'm sorry for not listening to you, Papa." 

"You're a grandfather? No way," the stranger said, his laugh high-pitched and very odd, but contagious. 

Taehyung blushed and nodded. "I'm fifty-seven. I married someone with teenage children, so...yeah." 

The man walked with the pair back to Taehyung's shopping cart, where Taeil waited patiently. "Well, I'm sixty-eight. My wife couldn't have children; she carried that regret with her to the grave. My name is Kim Seokjin, by the way." 

Seokjin offered a hand to shake, which Taehyung accepted. "Kim Taehyung. I'm sorry to hear that. I would give you Taeyong, but my daughter would kill me."

The two adults laughed, but Taeyong didn't appreciate the joke. "Why me!? Give up Taeil! All he does is scream about nothing! He's so stupid!" 

Both adults set firm eyes on the boy, Taehyung fueled with rage and disappointment at his grandson. 

"Hey," Seokjin said, voice stern, "I had a brother just like yours, and I took care of him because my parents thought the same way you do. I loved my brother. He was sweet and brilliant and kept all of my secrets. Treasure your brother." 

Taeil smiled at the oldest adult, then hugged Taeyong. "Bubba."

A minute of awkward silence passed between the two adults, but then Seokjin cleared his throat. "I know you probably have a lot on your plate but...um...my doctors told me that I have signs of dementia. I just -- I don't want to go live in a care home and I want to stay independent, but --"

"You're asking me to care for you?" Taehyung interrupted, earning a shameful nod. 

"No one has talked to me this long since my brother died, and I just thought you'd be open to the idea." 

Taehyung smiled, reaching out to pat Seokjin's shoulder. "Of course I'll take care of you."