VII: Kim Taehyung

A constant, monotonous beeping echoed in his ears, accompanied by a choking feeling. Something was forcing him to breathe and he couldn't swallow; every time he tried, he ended up coughing and gagging. 

Alarms started blaring all around him, alerting the hospital staff of an awakened coma patient. 

Everything was too loud, too bright, too hazy, too disorienting. He didn't understand. 

The two nurses assigned to Taehyung, Hyoyeon and Tzuyu, rushed into the room, along with Dr Moon. Hyoyeon turned off the Life Support machine and removed the large blue tube shoved down the patient's throat while Tzuyu took his vitals. 

Dr Moon stood at the foot of the bed, writing something on the clipboard that hung there. "Good morning, Taehyung," she beamed, lifting her eyes to him. "It's good to see you finally awake. You've been comatose for six weeks."

Comatose? Taehyung thought, furrowing his eyebrows while his lips formed a confused pout. 

How could he have been in a coma? He was an old man by now -- in his seventies at most. 

"Let me tell your friends they can see you." 

Taehyung frowned even more, shaking his head. "H-how? They're d-dead. They died." 

The two nurses frowned, exchanging a look with Dr Moon, who sighed. "Comatose patients can dream, so you might've had a dream that they died. It's okay to be confused." 

Taehyung took a deep breath in. "Don't t-tell them. P-please."

Dr Moon nodded, then walked out the door, Hyoyeon and Tzuyu close on her heels. 

-------

A few minutes passed before the door opened again, revealing all six of Taehyung's friends. 

Jungkook and Jimin rushed over, engulfing their best friend in a hug while doing their best not to hurt him. 

"Tae, you're awake!" Jungkook sniffled, pressing a kiss to the older's cheek. 

Jimin was at a loss for words, but found it in himself to press a kiss to Taehyung's other cheek. 

The bed dipped down near Taehyung's hips; Hoseok and Seokjin were sitting there, each holding onto one of his hands. Yoongi sat down by Taehyung's legs, placing a hand on his left leg to assure the boy that he was there. 

Namjoon remained standing, but stepped forward when Jimin and Jungkook backed away a little. 

"Baby," he muttered, leaning down to press a kiss on his forehead. 

All the teary eyes and broken smiles and voices were too much for Taehyung. Tears welled up in his eyes as he gazed at Namjoon. "Hyung...why, why am I...here?" 

He truly didn't know. All he could remember was the life that he lived -- or dreamt? -- and how everyone standing before him had died. None of them should be alive right now, but they were. It was scary for Taehyung. 

Namjoon took in a shaky breath, but before he could explain, Yoongi cleared his throat. "You were pulled under the boat by the current, Taehyung. We went on a boat ride in Jeju, and we were told not to swim because the current was rough, but..."

He shook his head and turned away so that no one would see his tears. The hand on Taehyung's leg trembled as it squeezed him a little. 

"Dr Moon said you might experience some temporary amnesia, so it's okay that you don't remember," Namjoon said quietly, kissing Taehyung's forehead once again. 

"Just know that we love you and we're gonna care for you. And if you do remember..." Jimin sniffled and rubbed Taehyung's arm, "Tell us why you did it, Tae. Why you...tried to die."