Interlude: Jung Hoseok

"Does it hurt?" 

Taehyung wanted to scream when he woke up. 

Instead of his late husband, he saw Hoseok sitting criss-cross with his hands in his lap, serious eyes trained on the middle-aged man he once loved. 

The fifty-five-year-old sat up in bed, putting on his glasses while turning on his lamp. "Hoseok? Hobi? Baby, is that you?" he whispered, scooting a little closer to the boy. 

Hoseok nodded, reaching out to grasp Taehyung's hand. They were quiet for a while; the lonely man remembered his time with the dead boy in front of him. 

Maybe the Afterlife took away all his mental disorders. Maybe dying in Taehyung's arms healed him in some way. He didn't know; for the most part, Hoseok was still the same person the businessman fell in love with.

Finally, he spoke again. "Tae, does it hurt?" 

Before he knew it, Taehyung broke down into tears. He sobbed hard as he rested his head in Hoseok's lap, face buried in his stomach. "It hurts so much, Hoseok! Why...why did this have to, to happen!? Why can't I be happy!?" 

He shook violently, gripping onto Hoseok's faded-yellow t-shirt for dear life. Staying strong for his family took a toll on him; these tears had been bottled up for too long. 

"I'm here for you, Taehyung. I'll always be here." 

Taehyung snuggled into Hoseok further, relaxing slightly at the feeling of hands in his hair. 

"If it's too painful, too much, then let go. You can let go. You shouldn't suffer." 

Taehyung tried to keep his breathing steady; no one was home to help him if he began to hyperventilate. He focused on Hoseok; he was dead, but at the same time, he was there. He was solid and warm and felt like a security blanket; he was comforting Taehyung the same way the weighted blanked would comfort Hoseok.

When he was calm enough, Taehyung allowed Hoseok to lift his face so that they were level with one another. Hoseok smiled lightly, wiping his love's face free of tears. 

"You're my good boy, Kim Taehyung. No matter what you choose, I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you."

Taehyung closed his eyes, feeling Hoseok place a tender kiss to his forehead. "I love you too, Hoseokie. I love you so much."