Chapter Three: Sunrise

The ebony hospital with fire flickers as Jac stumbled through the smoke "Drew! Drew! Can you hear me baby?" She shouted hoarsely but her cries where devoured by smoke.
        Drew awoke and glanced at the clock 4:45am "sunrise time?" She heard in her ear, she rolled over both her and her mother were very light sleepers but ever since she was a baby they always watched the sunrise together. She pulled her mother's holby zip up round her shoulders and they both headed to the window. They watched for about an 40 mins then her mother got up when she came back she handed drew a cup of coffee she liked it black and bitter like her mother. "Are you going to hop in the shower baby doll?" Drew nodded and placed the half full cup of coffee on the window sill, she never finished a cup, neither did her mother.
        The steamed swirled around her as the heat devoured her, the piping hot water pelted her skin like a rainstorm. She scrubbed herself down and washed her hair. She wrapped herself in a towel, and stared at her pale reflection. She re-wrapped herself in her mother's old Holby zip up and some shorts.
Drew went and sat back in front of the window, her mother started brushing her wet hair and got a hair dryer out and started to blow dry it, she got a flash back to when she was 5 years old and her mother would dry her hair before bed.  "Drew? Earth to Drew?" Her mum called and she was bought back to present. "Mmhhmm" she murmured "are you daydreaming Drew" she laughed. She passed her mother the nail varnish and her mum gave her a french manicure "we haven't done this in ages." Jac smiles "do you do anything like this at your dads?" Jac asked. "They just fuss over Emma and I'm used as the babysitter when they want to go out." Jac looked at her eldest daughter. "So what do you do?" Drew looked at the floor "I stay in my room whilst they play happy families" Jac just stared "I'd have you full time if I could you know that don't yo.." but Drew cut her off "it's okay I get it."
Jac changed the subject "so I'm on call today, do you want to come with me before you dad picks you up this evening?" Drew nodded and put on some black Joni jeans and again her mums grey Holby zip up.
           As they walked through the entrance to the hospital Will clocked Drew "aight Junior Ice Queen?" Drew smiled "Drew I'll meet you upstairs, do us a favour and get me a Diet Coke and bring it up stairs" Jac asked Drew nodded and carried on chatting to Will.
        "Hey can I get a Diet Coke please?" Drew asked. The lady smiled "sure, aye I see you round here lots are you Will's sister Olivia-mae?" She asked "no I'm Drew Naylor-Maconie." Drew replied "Naylor, so your mother is Jac?" Drew nodded as she handed the lady the money and was handed back the Diet Coke "I'm Jaz by the way" Drew  smiled "see you round" she replied. Drew handed Jac a Diet Coke "Jaz seems nice." Jac's attention snapped onto Drew "who" she inquired urgently "Jaz the refreshment lady, she seems nice" Jac relaxed "ah" she covered her tracks. She's have to tell  Drew that they they were related at some point and that she's have to tell Drew that Jaz was her sister.
             Jac did some work and made some phone calls, played cards with Drew and FaceTimed Emma, they ate biscuits and drank bitter coffee. Before they knew it was 5:30 pm and Jac got a phone call "it's your dad hun, he's outside" Drew's smiled weakened she hugged her mum "love you mum, see you later" Drew got up, got in the lift and then got in her dads car "hi Drew" Bianca chirped, Drew just gave her a half smile and put her headphones in, Emma held her sisters hand. When they got home they sat down at the table and they talked about the wedding the thoughts just whirred round Drew "so Drew what do you think?.." began Bianca "Drew?" Her dad continued "I'm tired" Drew got up, "what about dinner?" Asked her father
"I've lost my appetite"