Chapter eight: will you be home in time for Christmas

It was the 23rd of December and Drew was getting dressed as her dad had finally allowed her to see her mum. She stared at her face in the bathroom mirror. Emma came in "are you going to see mummy today?" Drew nodded "yes princess, anything you want me to tell her?" Emma nodded "that I got the main part in my Christmas play, and I did a drawing for her." Emma went and got the picture and gave it to Drew and made her Pinky promise she'd give it to her.
Drew got in her dads car "Drew I have something to tell you." Drew sighed "please don't ruin this day for me dad." Drew replied.
"Amelia! Listen, we've advanced to move to Edinburgh, we're leaving on the 27th" Drew looked stunned and sat the rest of the drive in silence.
Jac woke up her head was pounding. She heard a voice "are you decent?"
"No." She replied whilst fully dressed in her pjs
The psychiatric nurse came in "I said I wasn't decent." She bluntly retorted "yeah well I had a funny feeling you were, like a sixth sense really. Look I've got something for you." She placed a tray with a cup of coffee and a paper pot of tablets. "How many times." Jac began but was cut off "you've made it clear not anti-psychotics yet."
"Ever" Jac replied the nurse looked at her
"well this is just something to help you sleep and relax."
"Try dropping the section and letting me out of here too and then I might be more relaxed."
"We'd love to but it would be hard to know wether that would be safe for you or your daughters."
"We're do you learn to talk like this?"
"Sleeping pills nothing more nothing less, you might be able to think abit clearer."
Jac tapped her head, "clear as. Bell" she replied.
"Well some good news, your daughter Amelia is coming today."
Jac looked at her "Drew is coming?"
The nurse nodded.
The car pulled up "look Drew..." she just opened the car door "don't start dad" and slammed the door and walked towards the hospital.
"You know once they let you in you can't get out" Jac said to Drew's back, Drew whipped round. "Mum!.... I thought you might want these." She handed her mum a bag full of toiletries and chocolates. " it's like mission impossible trying to get in" drew began trying to make conversations. "What did you come down back through the ceiling" Jac replied bluntly "no just the double security door." She looked at the floor "yeah well I'm not going to trouble anyone locked up in here" Drew looked at her mum "mum Emma asked me to give you this." She handed Jac a drawing, Jac glanced at it and put it to one side. "And she asked me to tell you she had the main part in her Christmas play, she's playing the Doctor, she wants to be just like her mummy" Jac just looked blankly at Drew "will you be home in time for Christmas?" She asked
"Probably not, why?" Drew looked fidgety "it's dad he's advanced the move to the 27th" Jac just looked "mum? Mum say something!" Drew said. Jac just sighed and broke eye contact. "Mum you are going to fight this right? You can't let him take us!" Jac looked at her "I'm tired of fighting." Drew looked stunned and upset "but mum, you have to or you'll lose us!" Jac sighed
"Maybe sometime away would do you good!" A tear rolled down her face "listen to yourself your not talking sense, what have they got you on!" Drew cried.
Jac just stared at her "Just cause your sad and miserable you have to make everyone else miserable too! Me! Emma! You know I hope you have a great life Mum because you've lost the fight I'm being forced to move and it's all your fault just because you wouldn't Fight! Well I'm done!" Drew ran out of the room, but Suddenly something clicked for Jac
"Amelia Naylor-Maconie get back here right now!" She ran after Drew.
The psychiatric nurse came up to Jac "Jac? Jac are you alright?" She asked
"I need to speak to drew get her back....Now!" The nurse shook her head "her father picked her up about 5 minutes ago, why?" Jac shook her head and started crying "I've lost them forever!" She walked back to the common room to where she found Emma's picture in another patients hands "give me that!" She took hold of it and it tore "look what you've done!" She cried, she went to her room and laid down, she was numb.
       It was the evening and Drew was crying in the bath. There was a knock at the door "Drew? Drew we need to talk about Edinburgh" her dad began she held her nose and went under the water, it was finally quiet , she could hear muffled voices but she was at peace. She was enjoying the quiet but then everything went black. "Drew? Drew open the door!" Her dad broke the door down, and lifted Drew out the bath unconscious and wrapped her in a towel "no! Come on Drew breathe!Bianca ring an ambulance!" A sleepy faced Emma appeared at the door "no, right bianca take Emma back to bed." Emma looked at her sister on the floor lifeless "Drew?" Bianca took her hand "she's just tired sweet heart."  Emma nodded unsure.
       "This is Amelia Naylor-Maconie she's 16 years old and was found in the bathroom about 30 mins ago and had been in and out of consciousness since."
Drew had regained consciousness and her dad was talking to the doctors. Emma was giving Drew a hug "so how come you went underwater for so long " a Doctor asked. Emma chirped in "she tried to get to heaven to find our mum!" Drew stared at her "Emma Our mum isn't dead!" Drew shouted "I know that!" Emma replied sheepishly "then how can she be in heaven then!" Emma looked at her "because the angels are looking after her whilst she's ill" an upset Drew started walking to the toilets escorted by her dad she suddenly started coughing "my chest hurts, daddy" and she continued to cough and vomited water. Her father carried her back to her bed "right Will you'll do, this is Drew she developed a slight cough, complained of chest pains and she went off really quickly." She started breathing really fast and really heavy "Drew can you slow down your breathing for me, I'm just going to listen to your chest. It doesn't sound good. She has course cramps bi-latterally. Has she had any breathing issues as a child? Asthma?" He sad searches himself "no nothing" Emma looked worried and went to find fletch.  "Sounds like pulmonary ordinate." Will replied   "She was in the bath" her dad replied "she must have inhaled some water...this is secondary drowning!" Drew's sats started to drop "Charlie! I need to intubate she's in respiratory failure!"
            Emma ran and hugged fletch "Emma?" Fletch looked puzzled "I need mummy! It's Drew!" Fletch looked puzzled "Drew?" Emma babbled about how ill Drew was. "Okay Emma go back to daddy I'll go tell mummy." Fletch started to go to psychiatric hospital.
Emma returned to find Drew intubated. She hugged her dad "where did you go?" He asked "to find fletch to tell mummy!" Her dad sighed "Emma no, your mum didn't need to know!"
         Fletch ran around the hospital "Jac? Jac!" She was in the common room in-front of a tree full of handprints and sweet messages "losers" she muttered. He ran in "Jac!" She looked at him icily "what!" She replied "it's Drew, she's been intubated!" Jac's look softened "what? What about Drew." Jac replied "secondary drowning!" Fletch retorted Jac tan to the door and banged "LET ME OUT!LET ME OUT NOW!" She sobbed  the nurse came to her "Jac What's wrong? Your going to have to calm down!" Jac carried on banging the door "my daughter is in hospital and I need to see her now!" The nurse sighed "Jac you know you can't!" She kept shouting and banging! Fletch was escorted out! Jac just kept sobbing.
          It was 11:45pm and Jac was wondering the corridor and went to the common room and she put up the drawing that Emma sent her. "I'm off home" the nurse said "okay." She replied. "Are you feeling better?" Jac swallowed "I'd like to see my daughter tomorrow if possible" the nurse nodded "ill put it in the diary" the nurse replied "she'll be okay you know, your daughter." Jac looked at her "I'll be the judge of that." The nurse smiled "and dury and executioner"
"All three" Jac smiled the nurse laughed.
        Jac went back to fixing the picture on the same wall as the hand prints and quotes. She stroked the picture and whispered
"Kintsugi."