Chapter Thirty-Three

MEADOW FLETCHER'S POV
November 2, 2017

WHISTLING filled the air in the middle of the night. I gasped, sitting up from the couch, throwing my blanket off of my body. Sasha and Maggie were already up and looking out of the window. The whistling turned into this opera like song. "There's a car." Sasha examined the window. I tried prying the window open while Maggie tried kicking down the door. I saw the fire everywhere.

I looked over at the gates, my eyes widened, "The gates are opened!" I looked up at the ceiling, there was a hatch. I climbed onto the table, prying open the rusty hatch, it creaked when I opened it. "Maggie, you need to stay put." Sasha argued back and forth with Maggie, as I climbed out of the hatch. 

The walkers flooded through the gate. Sasha had already jumped off the trailer, I looked over at the huge house, "Hey, you two!" I yelled over, "Help close the gate. Jesus, Sasha is by herself down there!" I yelled. Within an instant they got off the balcony, fighting through the herd. Maggie was on the roof by now, "You stay here, shoot any that get too close to them. I have a plan." I handed Maggie my bow and arrow, she nodded. I looked over at the tractor, jumping off of the roof. I ran through the lawn, sprinting faster. I managed to slip past a few walkers that were hitting the car. 

I got into the green tractor, looking at the ignition. The key was still there, today was my lucky day. I turned the key, the tractor's engine roared loudly. I looked behind me, backing it up slowly. Walkers were more interested in the tractor than the car. I ran over the walkers. 

The wheel went over the car, crushing it. The air fell silent, the music was no longer playing. I hopped out of the tractor, watching as Sasha and Jesus closed the gates the best they could. I looked up at the windows of the house, Gregory slowly backing away. I glared at the window.

"You three need to leave." Gregory said, he was sitting in his office chair. I crossed my arms, "Maggie can stay. I'll leave." "Same here." Gregory glared at the three of us, "You've put us in danger!"

"From where I see it, we saved you from danger." Maggie spoke up. "They're staying Gregory." Jesus said, he was looking at Gregory with a disbelief look spread all over his face. "We're staying." I said.

"Jesus has no authority of who stays and who goes, honey." Gregory spat. I swallowed thickly, "That's it. My name isn't Melissa. It's not Maddie. It's not honey or hun. My name is Meadow. Her name is Maggie, and her name is Sasha." I glared at Gregory, "That's what you will call us? Understood?"

"I don-" "I said, understood!?" I yelled, slamming the palm of my hand on his desk. Gregory flinched, "We saved you from dying when you got stabbed, remember that?" Gregory nodded his head fast, "We saved your ass last night also, remember that?" "Y-Yes." I gave him a look, "Yes, M-Meadow." 

"I'm glad we could come to an understanding, Gregory." I smiled. Sasha had her arms crossed but she was smirking at me. Maggie grinned. Jesus was trying his best not to laugh, he covered his hand over his mouth. 

The three of us walked out of the office, in that time, I saw the gates opening, a man with a beige suit walked through the gates. My heart dropped and I took off running, "Daryl!" I shouted, "Daryl!" 

Maggie and Sasha followed, I looked at him, "Oh my god." We hugged him. "C-Carl, is he okay?" I asked, Daryl looked down, "He was when Negan took him back." My heart sank more into my chest, "Back? To Alexandria?" I felt my breathing slow. The gates closed. Daryl nodded his head, "Go get cleaned up, I-I'll have to figure it out." Maggie and Sasha showed him back to the trailer.

That night, Daryl laid on the cot by the couch, "What was he thinking?" "W-We were supposed to only go halfway. I stayed here though." I looked down, my eyes watered, "I should've went with him." "Meadow, this isn't your fault." Daryl said, he was staring at the ceiling. "You should get some rest. We have a long day ahead of us." I said, turning my back away from him. I fumbled with my thumbs, closing my eyes as I breathed in and out. 

I hope he's okay.