Chapter Forty-Two

Meadow Fletcher's POV

I slipped out of my own bed, carefully. Carl stirred a bit in his sleep. I gulped, standing still for a minute or two, waiting for him to settle. I slipped my clothes on and tip-toed over to the door, opening it slowly. It creaked a tiny bit, I held my breath, slipping out of the door and closing it slowly. I turned around was met by my mother, she was about to talk and I covered to her mouth, shaking my head, "Shh." We walked slowly into the bathroom, she glared at me, "Meadow, what the hell-" She whisper yelled at me, I cut her off, "I can't, not now. I need time." Mom crossed her arms, "So, you're gonna leave him alone? So he can wake up, alone?" I shrugged my shoulders.

Mom scoffed, "Meadow, why'd you let him in then? If you need time?" "I don't know, heat of the moment. I'm going to Hilltop and then I'm leaving. I shouldn't of did what we did," Mom's face fell, "Don't give me that look, I know. Tell him I left." "Mead-" "Please." Mom shook her head, "I can't believe you right now." I walked out of the bathroom and back into the bedroom slowly. Carl sat awake, his hands clasped together. My heart sank and I sucked in a deep breath, "Mornin'." He said, I nodded my head slowly, closing the door behind me.

"Why?" He asked, I shrugged my shoulders, I had no words. "Just heat of the moment?" I thought about it for a second, shaking my head. "You kissed back, you did that." "I know. I'm sorry." "Sorry? You don't get that right, Meadow." He got up, throwing his clothes on, "Carl, hold on," He shook his head, "I'm sorry, just listen." "I'm sick of listening, Meadow. I sick of always waiting on you. I'm done." "Let me explain," I stood in front of the door. "Stop being childish and let me out." Carl scoffed, slipping his boot on and heading towards the door.

We argued back and forth about him leaving, "Just lis-" "Meadow, move." "Ple-" "Move." "I'm scared!" Carl stopped, he looked down at me, "I'm scared." I repeated. "Of what?" He asked. "Me. I'm scared that I'll slip away, again, and I won't be able to come back from it. I'm scared that I'll hurt others, including y-you," I moved out of the way, opening the door, "You can go." "Do me the favor and stay, just for a while." Carl said, walking out of my room, the front door slamming shut.

I looked down at the duffel, picking it up and going towards my closet. I placed it on the floor of the closet, shutting the door.