Chapter Twenty-Two

MEADOW FLETCHER'S POV

September 23, 2017
6:33 AM

WALKING through the streets of Alexandria, knocking on the Grimes' door. Rick opened the door, "Come in." I smiled, stepping in the house, "Michonne is changing his bandage." "I figured, I'll be out there in a minute, Rick." Rick patted my back, walking out of the house, the door creaking as it shut behind him. 

The stairs creaked, Carl stepping down them, a bandage wrapped around his eye, "I thought you weren't showing up for another hour," Carl said, "Well, I thought I'd come by early, give you this and tell you I'm going with Daryl and your dad today," I took a comic book out from behind my back, Carl smiled, taking it. "I haven't read this one yet." "I know." Carl set the comic book down on the table, "Meadow?" He asked, looking away from me, "Yeah?" 

"Why do you always wanna hang out with me, I'm just some kid with a messed up face." I scoffed at his statement, "Carl, look at me," His head turned slowly, my eyes meeting his, "You could be missing an arm or a leg and I'd still hang out with you."

"What if you knew me after this." He was referring to his eye, "I would still talk to you and hang out with you. Any scenario you try to put me in, it'll always end up with me being your friend." He let out a breathless laugh, hugging me, "You be safe out there, Fletcher." I hugged him back, "Someone's gotta make sure they're not having too much fun. Tell Enid, I said hi." We released from the hug, I gave him a half-grin, walking out of the door.

I got into the back seat of the car, we stopped at the gate. Daryl rolled down his window and Eugene handed him the map, "I mapped out some of the agricultural supply places in the area." Daryl took the map, "Even if they've been cleaned out, my bet is that the sorghum would be untouched. Now, that there is a criminally underrated grain that could change the game with our food situation from scary to hunky-dunky."

I never really understand half of the words Eugene says, I usually just go along with what he says, Rick and I looked at him, "I'm talking standability, drought tolerance, grain-to-stover ratio that is the envy of all corns. Think about it." "Thank you, Eugene." I spoke up, "Yeah, thanks." "All right. Okay." Eugene backed away from the car, Daryl rolled up his window as we drove away.

"Today's the day." Rick spoked up, Daryl and I were silent, "We gonna find food, maybe some people. The law of averages gotta catch up." Rick let out a cough. "I don't know. We haven't seen nobody for weeks." I said, picking at my thumb, "Maybe we ain't gonna find nobody. Maybe that's a good thing." Rick reached into the glove compartment, taking out a CD, I groaned. "Don't," Daryl threatened, "Don't. Please don't." Rick ignored Daryl, popping in the CD. Daryl rolled his eyes, shaking his head. "Rick, I swear-"

"Give me the downbeat, maestro!" The song blared through the speakers. I groaned, again. Rick was snapping his fingers to the tune. "It draws 'em away from home!" Rick turned the song on full blast. I put my head on my hands, "You just like to torture us."

We drove past a sorghum farm, Rick put the car in reverse, pulling into the sorghum farm. I got out of the car first, making sure we didn't have any surprises. Daryl  popped open a garage. 

Rick and I went in first, scoping the place out, we noticed a big u-haul truck, "Yeah, we're good."

Daryl went to open the door of the u-haul, I pointed my gun at it. Daryl pushed it up, it made a creaking and banging sound as metal on metal hit, in the u-haul there was food, toothpaste, a pasta maker. You name it, it was in there. A smile grew on my face, "Hell yeah!" I exclaimed, "We come back for the car later, let's go."

We drove farther away from the farm, stopping at a gas station. It was run down, garbage littering the floor.

We exited the truck, walking around. Daryl stopped in front of vending machine, "Hey, help me with this." I watched as they struggled to pick it up, dropping it back down. I was surprised the glass didn't break. Daryl looked at the vending machine, then at the truck, "I got an idea."