27.

This coronavirus is now getting disrespectful...

CHRIS POV

"Are you up?" I texted Jada. I couldn't sleep and was a little hungry. She's probably sleeping... it's about three in the morning. "I am. Why are you up?" She texted back.

"How about I pick you up and we go get some food?" I texted.

"I'm dressed let's go!" She texted back.  Twenty minutes later I pulled up and Jada was outside sitting on her front steps. She got up and got into the car "hey".

"You look comfy" I said.

"Well I'm in my pajamas cause look at what time it is and well I'm pregnant too" she said. She had a valid point. "Where do you want to eat?"'I asked.

"What's open at this time?" She asked.

I shrugged "no idea".

We drove past a few places that were closed. But Wendy's was still open. Go figure. Jada smiled "I knew Wendy's wouldn't let me down". Shaking my head because if she could live here she would.

"Drive thru or we going inside?" I asked.

"Damn I'm not even sure the inside is open. So let's just do drive thru and then you can park over there and we just eat" she said. Sounds like a plan.

Pulling up to the drive thru menu. "Welcome to Wendy's..." I looked at Jada who was motioning me to order "hey can I get two six piece spicy nuggets and a large fries!".

"Anything else?" The person asked.

Jada leaned over me to tell her order "Umm let me have a large fries, a frosty, and a Asiago chicken sandwich. Also a peach tea. Make sure there's bbq sauce in the bag, thanks". She leaned back "what?".

"Hungry?" I asked.

She playfully hit me "oh shut up".

We both laughed. Pulling up to the window the woman smiled "it'll be twenty five thirty six". Looking at Jada who was dancing to the song on the radio "you paying?".

"Chris don't play with me. You invited me out so you better give that lady the money or I'm walking" she said. Shaking my head I handed the lady my card "you're lucky I like you".

"It's the other way around" she joked.

We got our food and I pulled into a park space. Handing Jada her food she was in her glory. "Oh this is my song..." stuffing a fry in her mouth she started to sing. This was the Jada I saw that morning. It was cute.

"You like music a lot?" I asked.

She nodded "music is the best medicine for anything".

"My dad loved music. He was in a band when he was about my age" I said.

"Wow really?! That seems cool" she said.

"Yeah it does. Then he got sick. Worst two years of my life" I said.

"I'm sorry. What did he pass away from?" She asked.

"Pancreatic cancer" I said.

"It's life. Full of surprises. Whether you like it or not" I said.

"Tell me about it. It's like when my mom left my dad and I. She I guess didn't want that family. So one day I got a post card from another state... she wrote how happy she was and that she was fine. I never got an explanation on why or I'm sorry. Nothing" she said.

"How old were you?" I asked.

"Nine" she said.

"Wow, that sucks. What did your dad do?" I asked.

"What could he do? He stepped up and made sure I was okay. But we managed without her. I would tell people at school she was dead. That way I didn't have to get asked questions" she said.

"So she just left you guys to start a family with another person? Kids and all?" I asked.

She nodded "yeah when she mailed that postcard she was already pregnant with the second one".

"That's crazy!" I said.

"Story of my life" she joked. I'm seeing Jada in a whole new light learning about her past. "So have you gotten therapy for your dads death?".

"Nope. That was also the same time Brooke broke up with me" I said. Jada didn't respond to that she just continued to eat her fries.

"I know you don't want to hear about her" I said.

Jada shrugged "it's your story. If she's in it then I don't have a choice".

"Grief on top of heart break. It can cause someone to just close up" I said.

"To be honest... what Brooke did was wrong. She had to know you were going through something as tough as losing your dad and she still broke up with you. She at least could've waited and been a shoulder for you to cry on" she said.

Jada must've noticed I was staring at her "what? Do I have bbq sauce on my chin?".

Shaking my head "just admiring the woman who made sense and had a point".

She smiled "it's what I do best". After we were we done I took the trash and threw it out. Driving back to drop her off "so any names yet?".

"I was into the name Aubree... but I don't know. But chasity calls it Aubree anytime she sees me" she said.

"Aubree? It's cute" I said.

"You think so?" She asked.

I nodded "let's see when she's born the name could change". She nodded and smiled. This was nice. Getting to know one another on a deeper level. No fighting... no arguing.