42.

CHRIS POV

"Oh come on we can still hang out as friends.." Brooke said. I sighed cause she knows damn well that can't happen. "Please Chris!" She batted her eyelashes.

Her family was having a little thing for some thing which I didn't even inquire about. We walked in together and most of her family knows of me and actually likes me for her.

"Christopher! I haven't seen you since... well you know" her father said.

I smiled "yup".

Brooke smiled "he's still a little senile".

"I can tell" I joked.

Her mom approached us "well well well Chris... nice to see you again. You can't stay away from my daughter can you? Prove me wrong".

"Mom? Seriously? Stop! Leave Chris alone!" Brooke warned.

"I see your mom still hates me. She still thinks I broke up with you?" I asked.

She shrugged "she's crazy!".

"Takes one to know one" I mumbled.

She turned to me "what did you say?".

"Oh nothing" we stood at a corner of the room. Getting stares from her mother whom was way across the room was uncomfortable. Brooke still hasn't told her who broke up with you and for what reason.

"Brooke? Say cheese!" Her friend said. Brooke stood close to me "smile or she won't leave us alone". When they picture was taken Brooke went to see what the outcome of that was. "Send that to me".

The friend nodded and proceeded to send the picture to Brooke. "Chris you remember when we were dating we had all of our login names and passwords?".

"Yeah cause we had horrible memorization. But it worked out" I smiled.

"Exactly" she laughed.

When I looked at the commotion going on at the door. Brooke's crazy ass mother was trying to remove someone from the door. Looking some more I saw it was Jada. Quickly making my way over to her "excuse me!" Pushing Jada out the door "what are you doing here?!".

"Looking for you, obviously" she said.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"No nothing is wrong the way you're asking. But you said you wouldn't entertain Brooke. And yet, here you are" she said.

"Jada Brooke and I just came here as friends. Nothing more" I said. Brooke and her mother came out the door "why is she here?".

"Brooke just go back inside" I said.

"Nope this is my event and she's intruding on it" she said.

Jada rolled her eyes "be lucky I'm pregnant".

"Who invites the black girl here?" Her mother asked.

"Wow mother like daughter! You must be so damn proud" Jada said.

"Look little girl... I will mess you up it I have too" Brooke mother said.

Jada fanned her away "anyway I came here for the father of my baby. So if you two can go away... so we can talk".

"Aww, how cute! That's all he'll ever be to you. A father of your baby. Nothing more" Brooke places her hand on my chest "he'll always be mine".

Jada glanced at me "can jada and I talk? Alone!".

Brooke sucked her teeth "come on mom!". Both woman walked back inside leaving Jada and I alone.

Jada blinked at me a few times "so is this what you want? Someone who will never take you back. She's just using you because she can't find anyone else. It's like anytime she's around you're weak".

"Look I don't know what I want fully. I'm trying to be a good person and handle my responsibilities. But it's never enough" I said.

Jada laughed a little shaking her head "and here I am. Second best. Always will be. Great to know" she started to walk back to her car. "Jada?" I yelled. She held up two fingers and got into her car. When I get home I'll talk to her.

Brooke stuck her head out "are you coming back in? They are about to sing happy birthday to my brother".

Watching Jada speed off... I sighed. Brooke grabbed my arm pulling me inside "come on!".

When all was over with I got home. I braced myself for what I had to deal with. Walking to my room I peaked to see the guest room door. It wasn't closed. Strange. Walking closer to it I switched on the light. The bed was still made. But Jada was no where in sight "Jada?!".

Nothing.

Going to the kitchen I saw a note in the fridge...

"I made up my mind. I can't sit here and pretend that I'm okay with being someone's second choice. There's way more to think about. I hope you are happy with Brooke. I don't wish you any bad karma or bad energy. Maybe we weren't meant to be. And I'm okay with that. But I think it'll be best if I went back home. If anything I'll call you. The baby will be here very soon. This month I rather be stress free

Jada"

Crumbling up the paper and throwing it out. The note and reading what she was feeling hurt me more than anything.