Ghosts

Static could be heard in the background of the tv as the cable went out from the snow storm that was outside. The fire was crackling in the corner where the furnace was, and Maya was cuddled up in a big, flannel blanket that she had found in one of the back closets.

It was mid December and Maya had taken a trip up to Shawn's cabin for the weekend for some peace and quiet. She was in her senior year of college and she was starting to be weighed down with stress. Shawn had given her the key and Maya had packed up and left.

Riley would have went with her, but sometimes even she knew when her best friend needed a break from the world. It was Saturday, and a big snow storm at hit making it not safe for anyone to drive out on the roads. Shawn and Riley had both already called to check in on her, but she was more than alright.

Sometimes for Maya, being alone and with nature really helped her more than anything else. She had spent the evening sitting by the window and painting the view of the mountain side covered in snow.

The heat had gone out a while ago. Maya had built a fire and scooted the couch closer towards it so she could be closer. The forecast had called for a winter storm all weekend and that the roads wouldn't be clear until Tuesday morning. Thankfully that meant that NYU classes had been called off and Maya didnt have to worry about missing classes.

There was plenty of food and wood. Maya didnt mind that she was going to be stuck up here till Tuesday. She would live up here if she could.

Maya snuggled up on the couch with a pillow under her head. She wrapped the blanket tight around her and closed her eyes, listening to the quiet sound of the fire crackling.
~
"Maya?" A distant voice spoke. "Maya, wake up."

Maya squinted her eyes together. She slowly blinked her eyes open and looked up at the foggy shape of a person standing in front of her. She rubbed her eyes and blinked fast to clear her vision.

"Good morning." Maya jumped at the face of her mother staring down at her. "It's about time you get up." She stated. Maya jumped off the couch and stared at her mother. She looked over at the window and the cabin and noticed that it was no longer snowing, nor was there son on the ground.

It was bright and sunny outside. The birds were chirping and it had become warm in the cabin. It felt and looked like it was no longer December, but it was the middle of spring. The trees outside were filled with different colored leaves. Maya looked over at her mother shocked.

"How long was I asleep?" She asked with her eyes wide. Katy laughed. Maya looked around the cabin and noticed that the pictures of Shawn, her and her mom were all missing. "Where is everything?" She asked. "Where's Shawn? Did he come with you?" She asked. Katy shook her head.

"Shawn isn't in your life right now." Katy told her. Maya looked at her like she was hit in the head.

"What are you talking about? What's going on?" Maya asked. She was beginning to feel a little panicked. Katy smiled and walked towards her.

"I want to show you something." Katy told her. She grabbed Maya's hand and pulled her into the hallway of the cabin. They stepped into one of the back bedrooms and Maya's eyes widened. They were no longer in Shawn's cabin, they were in her childhood bedroom.

Maya walked out of the bedroom to see Shawn's cabin, and then walked back into the room to see it was still her childhood bedroom. The fire escape and the same view of  New York City were outside her window.

"What is going on?" She asked her mother as she stepped closer into the room.

"I want you to watch." Katy told her. She pulled Maya back into the corner of the room and pointed to the door.