Chapter 15

'The previous master of lightning'

These words kept repeating themselves in Jey's head as he slowly backed away, losing all sense of time and space as he faced the truth.
The previous master of lightning... she had been... sacrificed... his mother had been killed...
Everything around him stated fading as he was shutting himself down. So this... this was the reason why he never knew her... why his real father had never been able to speak of her... why he had given him up... he had lost the love of his life... he hadn't been able to protect her... and he sent him away to another family so that the league would never lay their hands on the next master of lightning...

" Jey! Jey! I'm here... I'm right here ..." Nya's vice broke through the wall of darkness and maned to gain his attention. All eyes were on him now. He tried to calm down, but his feelings were boiling up and tears were pushing on. He never really knew her... but it felt like he had lost her one second time...
" take a deep breath Jey..." a gentle hand was placed onto his cheek and dark brown eyes gained his attention. Nya...
" my...." Jey began, trying to explain to her, but she just laid a finger onto his lips and slowly nods. " your mom..." she replied and quietly pulls him into a deep, warm hug.

Lloyd was terrified. Had the league truly killed an elemental master just to activate an elemental tomb... had this been the dark lord's goal all this time...? Had be been planning this all these years? How many tombs were activated?!
" how many..?" Lloyd quietly speaks as he turns his attention back to the monk, who was still sitting by his reading desk, watching the group of ninja comfort the young master of lightning.
" I... I don't know... lightning and ice are activated... but I have no idea about earth and fire...." the monk confirms and looks away.
" we're you there when it happened to ice as well...?" Lloyd asked him again. He didn't like this one bit. How could these monks agree to do anything this cruel.
" no... I've heard it happened differently with him..." the monk answers.
" isn't there a tomb of energy...?" Lloyd couldn't help it. He had to know. These people seemed to have a lot of answers... good and dark ones..
" no... there's not, but there's a fifth tomb... it's where all elemental relics are gathered. Daggers I think... each elemental tomb contains a key, shaped like daggers... when all four are gathered at the alter.. the guardian will use his powers to create a gateway between our world and the underworld..."
" the guardian? You're telling me there's a guardian at the fifth tomb?!" Lloyd didn't know what imagine... was there a gigantic monster watching over the fifth tomb? A wizard? Or... was he the guardian..? No way he could be the guardian... how could he be..?
" we don't know much... but I've told you everything I know... please forgive us..."

" oh, there's no need to beg for forgiveness, we got everything we needed" Lloyd's eyes went wide at the sudden appearance of this voice...
" no way..." he quickly turned around and saw them... a group of masked people, except the leader...
" Morro..." Lloyd groans angrily as he recognizes the face of his former teammate.
" hello Lloyd, it's been a while." A dark grin crossed his lips at the sight of them. It sure had been a while since he last had met them. They all looked older.
" Morro, you're behind this all! Where's Kai! And what have you done to him!" Lloyd angrily shouts at him, demanding an answer, but Morro simply just chuckled.
" I don't know what you're talking about" he grins and grabs his sword. He hadn't come here to fight, but it didn't seem like the ninjas were going to let them leave without a fight, so why not just get straight to the point? He quietly turns his attention back to his team to check upon their reaction, or more specifically, Kai's reaction. His old team couldn't recognize him while wearing the mask, but it was obvious that he didn't enjoy this moment.
Seliel in the other hand seemed more excited. Skylor and Brine weren't with them. They had been sent on a different mission, witch kinda had annoyed Morro a bit. What was the point in wearing the bracelet of Solomon if he wouldn't be able to have his prisoner with him on missions? Was there a reason for their boss to separate them like this? No way.

" what happened to you... after all these years.. we thought you were dead... why didn't you just run away and live a normal life? Like most of the other league agents? " Lloyd gained Morro's attention again, only this time, he sounded more sad.
" my purpose is to serve the league, unlike you guys, I'm still loyal to my master, and I will do anything in my power to bring him back, even if it means to kill you" Morro darkly replies and doesn't hesitate to make the first move. Without notice, he uses his elemental power of wind to push himself forward towards Lloyd, heading for him in such speed that Lloyd has to block the attack by jumping aside, forcing his team to scatter out and stay prepared for anything. Seliel didn't hesitate to follow her leader, but Kai couldn't help but resist. He didn't want to do this... his sister was among them, and the others were his friends... no, they were brothers to him... he didn't want to fight his family, but then again... if he didn't.. then his parents would have to pay the price... he then quietly grabs the sword he had been given, and attacked his closest brother who unlucky was Zane. It hurt to see his eyes focused on him, ready to fight him without knowing who really was underneath the mask... ready to knock him out if needed...  what would they say if they knew..?
Kai had lost his elemental powers... but he had been one of the best in hand to hand combat and sword skills, so there was no doubt that he could keep up with them, but the los of his powers made him feel different, it made him feel like he actually didn't belong with the ninja anymore.. and when they found out about him betraying them... then his title was officially over...
Zane used his powers to fight Kai. Normally, Kai would use his fire to melt it, but now he had to find different ways to battle the nindroid.
" you shouldn't fight for an evil cause" Zane spoke, as usual, he tries to reason with the enemy to persuade them to make the right decision, but Kai didn't dare to answer. He would probably recognize his voice, and he couldn't risk it.
" watch out!" Jey's voice called out as Kai swung his sword to struck Zane down as he had noticed an opportunity, but of course, they always watch each other's back and Jey had noticed him. Jey was quickly and managed to prevent the masked assassin from giving Zane a bad scar.
Kai couldn't express how great full he was for that, but he had to keep up the fight.

" if you only haven't been so soft! You would have managed to complete your training as Renegade! You could have been the dark lords right hand! But of course you let stupid emotions get in your way! And of course! You got the girl in the end!" Morro yells at Lloyd as they were fighting each other.
" I'm glad I never managed to kill Kai, I'm glad I left! Because I found something better! I found people who cared for me! A family!" Lloyd replied, dogging each of Morro's attacks as they kept coming.
" and I know you never liked the thought of me being the renegade! You had always wanted the title! And you were jealous of me!" Lloyd spoke, using his energy powers to push Morro further away from him.
" I guess the two of us could never live up to that title anyway, it was never meant for us," Morro groans angrily. After Lloyd had left the league, he had gained the title of being the renegade, but he never it to start on his training and he always felt like the title never truly belonged to him... and Lloyd could simply say the same, even though he didn't know there had been another person before him who had carried the title, he had always felt like there was a list he had to follow, a figure he had to become alike, if he was going to be the perfect renegade...
" yes... 47 told me about this.. she told me there had been a Renegade before me, and according to her, I believe you guys are holding him captive as well..." Lloyd replies, watching Morro's expression when he told him.
" so she actually remembers... I knew the memory wipe wouldn't work on her." He groans angrily.
" what did you do to her!? How long did you hold her captive!? And what happened to you after the earthquake two years ago!?"
Lloyd spoke. He couldn't believe Morro had been alive this whole time, and he hadn't shown his face until now... why!?
Morro angrily uses his wind to push Lloyd against the wall behind him, and then replies.
" you really wane know what happened? You guys left me for dead"