Out Of Her Shell

Violet had gotten a part-time job at a café and a tiny apartment in town. She had always been lonely, but for once she was actually alone. She had been the outcast and now she was the foreigner. To forbid herself from staying all on her own, hidden in her "shell" - and to find a cheaper way to live - she had decided to move in with a flatmate. She had soon seen an ad for a small, cozy flat. The girl who had posted it was named Pearl.

- Hello. Pearl Liaison, right? - Violet said when, after standing by the door for several minutes, she finally got the courage to knock. The woman who opened the door was tall, with bright platinum hair, icy blue sleepy eyes and a septum piercing. She took off her huge headphones.

- You can call me Pearl. - she answered. Her voice was low and quiet and she was holding a cup of coffee in her right hand, although the caffeine didn't seem to be working on her. - Violet Tchothke, I assume.

- Chachki. - Violet corrected. Pearl let her into the apartment, and she could see a white persian cat running away to hide under the couch. The ad didn't say anything about a cat, but hopefully Violet was hoping to get one once she moved on her own.

The living room was white, clean, urban and minimalistic. The wide windows made the tiny space appear bigger, and even though it was a bit too neat for Violet she was pleased with the place - she had read some scary stories about moving in when researching on the Internet. Pearl's computer was still on, resting on the couch. She must have been working on something when Violet knocked on the door.

- ...you can leave your stuff in your room. - Violet realized that the blonde woman had been talking for a while now, she had completely spaced out. She followed Pearl into a really small bedroom, equally as white, that had only an individual bed and a small closet. She was petite and didn't have too many clothes, so it was alright. - You must be tired, if you're hungry there's food in the kitchen, call me if you need anything, love. 

Violet nodded and Pearl closed the door. She wondered if her host ever smiled. Or frowned. Or had anything but a straight face on. She left her bags on the floor and opened her suitcase. It was still full of those plain white shirts that she hated so much. She hang them up on her closet and only then she revealed the Playboy magazines and the pin-up pictures. She grabbed one of the magazines and put it onto the shelf that was over her bed. She didn't have to hide anymore.