15. Avoiding And Amending

I've been waiting for a while, when Carol comes over. She smiles and hugs me,
"I'm glad you decided to come back."
"Me too, I put flowers on Sophia's grave."
"Oh Mason, your have always been a good friend to all the kids." Except when I threatened Carl with a knife, I think to myself.
"Can I Go into the cell block yet?"
"Almost..." She sounds like she wants to say something else.
"What is it?"
"He came back."
"Who?" I day completely oblivious.
"Daryl."
"What? Why?"
"I think you know."
"What I know is he left me... he left all of us, and I don't want to talk with him... ever."
"Mason..."
"Andrea is gonna wonder where you are."
"Just remember that he does..."
I just call my dog and walk further away from her. All Daryl does is try to leave me behind. I don't need him... I have my dog back now.
My thoughts are interrupted when I hear,
"She's finally leaving." I smile.
"Thanks Carl, so how's it been being a new big brother?"
"I already was one." He says cheekily throwing an arms around my shoulder.
"Awww... stop it." I say in a fake embarrassed expression that makes him laugh.
"It's been good... waking up at all hour of the morning, crying, dirty diapers..."
"Which I'm guessing mostly Beth and Carol take care of?" He laughs.
"Okay yeah so maybe I'm not affected by that as much as I'm letting on." This time I laugh, but stop abruptly.
"Can we not go inside yet?"
"Why?" I look at him for a split second before he realizes.
"We can go take care of some walkers around the fence."
"Sounds great, come on Apollo." It's not like I had to call him he's been sticking right next to me since I found him.
     We spend a hour around the fence killing walkers and goofing off, more of the goofing off. It feels good to be a kid, minus the killing walkers part.
"So... hows Beth?" I say teasingly.
"Oh shut up," he laughs.
"Come on Carl details." I beg.
"You're different than when you left."
"And you're changing the subject."
"Alright, twenty one questions go!" He says.
"One, how's Beth?" He groans
"Fine, She's more interested in Judith I'm afraid."
"Well she is the cute one." I say with a shrug and he gives me a small shove.
"My turn, why'd you leave?"
"I felt alone and betrayed. Second question what is your favorite food?"
" M&ms."
"That's candy." I point out to which he shrugs.
"What's your favorite color."
"Easy... blue." We stop when we hear Rick.
"KIDS!" We both decide to race to and see who wins. I do of course, I may be younger and not as strong, but I am pretty fast.
     "It's gonna be dark soon. Let's head in."
"Okay," We say at the same time. I hope to high heaven that Daryl isn't in there.
When Rick opens the door I'm happy to see that he's not there. If he thinks he can walk out on me and just think it will all be peachy keen when I see him again he's dead wrong. What I'm gonna do when I see him is walk right past him like he's not even here, Or maybe I should act like he's an old acquaintance or something. I haven't fully decided yet.
"Daryl's our hunting, with Merle. They'll be back soon." Rick says as if he's reading my mind.
"Oh, okay." I can't help the tinge of sadness I feel over this. No! I can't feel sad I'm too angry and hurt for that. I go into the cell block and hold Judith for a bit until it's time for her nap.
I decide to go up to my cell. I remember I left my picture behind accidentally. I look around but can't find it, I know I had to have left it. Unless maybe it fell out of my backpack. It's the only picture and the last thing my mama left for me how could I be so careless?!
I lay in my bad with an awful feeling in my stomach. That's when I hear a familiar voice,
"Is she upstairs?" Glenn answers. hear him clanking up the stairs and I can't help but be excited. I did miss him, but I'm still hurt. I jump off the top bunk I'm lounging on and run out of the cell past Sleeping Apollo, and right into Daryl's open arms.
"Why'd ya leave?" He says obviously relieved I came back.
"Why'd you leave?" I counter back.
He pulls me away so he can see my face.
"I thought Merle was the only family I had left,  I was dead wrong. I almost forgot about the most important person to me. When I came to my senses I realized that I have a whole family here, nothing can take that away."
"I was so hurt." I admit looking down and willing myself not to cry. He grabs my chin, and makes me look at him,
"Masie I'm so sorry. Please forgive me for leaving you, it was the worst mistake of my life."
"I forgive you." He hugs me again and kisses my forehead.
"I love you Mason."
"I love you too."

     It's been awhile and we are all eating dinner. I'm sitting on the ground next to Beth, and she starts to sing a song I've never heard before. It's pretty, but I'm tired so I start to fall asleep to her soft voice. Then I feel Strong arms lift me up and take me upstairs and lay me in bed. I can tell by the smell and cut off sleeves that it's Daryl. He takes my shoes off, and covers me up. Apollo jumps on the bad with me and goes to my feet which makes Daryl chuckle.
"Goodnight kiddo."
"Mmnn," is all I manage to get out, he moves some of the hair out of my eyes and leaves. Maybe I can go out and look for my picture tomorrow sometime, at least around the fence.
(5/8/2020)
    SORRY IT'S BEEN SUCH A LONG TIME SINCE I UPDATED, BUT ON TOP OF THE WHOLE COVID THING I'VE BEEN GETTING EXTRA HOURS AT WORK SO I HOPE TO BE ABLE TO KEEP UP! I'LL UPDATE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, AND CANT WAIT FOR SOME FUTURE IDEAS I HAVE! (ALSO TO ALL THOSE 2020 GRADUATES STAY STRONG! ITS BEEN DIFFICULT NOT HAVING A GRADUATION FOR ME TOO, BUT KEEP YOUR HEAD UP! LOVE YA'LL STAY SAFE AND HEALTHY!