The New Captain

Another early morning, another cheap cup of coffee. It's only routine.

"Morning."

Valerie let out a yawn as she entered the bullpen, almost tripping over the gate. She paused as she heard a familiar chuckle to her right, no doubt in response to her near-splatting.

She looked to see Jake observing her with raised eyebrows, "Rough night?"

Amy passed the younger woman, wordlessly patting down a particularly messy patch of her hair with a sympathetic look.

"Thanks, Amy."

Amy and Valerie met about a year before she came to the precinct, both happening to be on the same street as a robbery took place. When running after the criminal, the two women bumped into each other, literally. She ended up taking Valerie to the hospital after they'd caught the guy as the younger had managed to sprain her ankle. They'd been close ever since that day.

"Oh yeah, got totally wasted." The female detective responded with an airy tone.

Terry rose from his chair as Valerie passed his desk, sending her a disapproving look, "Come on, Marks. You're late again! What if the new Captain had already arrived? Do you want make a good first impression?"

Truthfully she'd been having a hard time sleeping, her brain never seeming to be able to switch off, constantly whirring, blending one case into the next. But, albeit unwritten, that was part of job description, sleepless nights and mildly traumatising dreams, all in a day's work.

She raised her hands, which were holding two cups of coffee, in defense as Terry put down his yoghurt - which was weirdly threatening.

"Oh merciful one, it won't happen again." She walked away from his desk but not before bowing theatrically. As she reached her own desk she let out a small laugh, "Not."

"I heard that!"

Valerie settled into her chair, situated opposite Rosa, sending her a nod as she slid the extra cup onto her fellow detective's desk.

"Thanks." Rosa spoke shortly, before staring back at her screen with no intention of dragging the conversation on any longer, which Valerie didn't mind.

Valerie smiled lightly, spinning once in her chair, "No problem."

While waiting for the files to load up Valerie allowed herself to gravitate in Amy and Jake's direction.

"Hey Val." Jake greeted as he watched her perch leisurely on the corner of his desk.

She sent him a smile as Amy tossed an empty cup into the bin, "Hi, Jake."

"Have either of you heard anything about the new captain?"

Valerie looked over at the latino with a shrug. Meanwhile Jake leant back in his chair, a pout dawning on his expression, "Uh, no. And I don't care. I just wish Captain McGintley never left, he was the best."

"Are you sure we're talking about the same Captain McGintley?" Valerie's eyebrows furrowed, Amy nodding along with her friend's words.

"He was terrible. You just liked him 'cause he let you do whatever you wanted."

"What's your point?"

"If I'm ever gonna make Captain, I need a good mentor. I need my Rabbi."

Valerie looked over towards the elevator as she heard the quiet yet resounding ding, her eyes widening as she watched the familiar figure enter the bullpen

What the hell?

"Sorry, dudes, but this new guy's gonna be another washed up pencil pusher, who's only concerned with following every rule in the patrol guide." Jake then proceeded to make robot noises while onlookers became increasingly amused, the reason unbeknownst to the male detective.