8. Breakthrough

4.08.20

Once we were both done with the coffee, Jamie opened the check. Suddenly, she gasped loudly and slapped her hand over her face. She does that way too often. I snatched the leather bound book out of her hand, and the sight on the paper almost made me pass out. Ten digits were across the bottom... Ten... She gave me her phone number!

My face cracked into a large smile, and I pulled out my old, battered cell phone that could only call and text to put in the number. As soon as I had it in, I handed Jamie back the check.

I attempted to calm my nerves down to no avail, and I was bouncing around the entire way back to the car. A girl- a female specimen- cared enough about me that she was content to give me her phone number! What is happening to my life right now?

"Devon sweetie... I want you to try again with my husband without Jack in the equation. I'm hoping that he'll see how good of a kid you are."

My grin faltered slightly, but I nodded. I really like Jamie, but I can't stay with her if Lincoln doesn't grow to tolerate me. Jamie picked up her phone and speed dialed her husband quickly, and I assume he picked up because she commanded, "meet me in the mall food court in 20."

I heard indistinct muttering from the other line before Jamie snapped, "because I said so!" and hung up. Is their marriage okay because that seemed kind of cold.

"Sorry about that. He doesn't really listen to me unless I get snippy," she explained while starting the car. Definitely not a healthy relationship.

Once we arrived at the mall, Jamie dragged me through the crowd. I've never been to a mall, but I don't understand what everyone's fuss is about. It's really just a living breathing nightmare packed to the brim with bodies.

Before I could recognize what was happening, I found myself face to face with Lincoln. "What is this, Jamie? I thought I told you to leave the boy alone," Lincoln scolded coldly.

"I think you need to give him a second chance, Linc. You know as well as me that Jack started it!" Jamie insisted.

"Jack never did anything!"

I stood uncomfortably while they argued rather loudly. If they do this at home, it probably isn't helpful for Jack's temper in the slightest. Maybe he's right; maybe I am tearing his family apart bit by pitiful bit. "Fine! I'll take a second chance with him! Happy!?" Lincoln shouted.

"Extremely," Jamie responded lowly before stalking away like she owned the mall.

"Alright. I'm going to lay down some ground rules. I will not accept you if you harm my son in any way."

I pulled out my tiny notepad that I am carrying in my pocket and wrote, what if he hurts me first? Am I able to defend myself?

"I guess you can defend yourself if he starts it. Also, why aren't you speaking? You were fine yesterday."

School fight. I was punched in the throat.

"Did you start it?" He's starting to warm up to me in his own way I think.

That's a grey area. He probably thinks I started it as much as I think he did. Did I hit him first? No, but it was my fault that he hit me.

"That's very mature of you to think about it both ways. When I was in highschool, I got into fights all the time, but I was always convinced it was their fault. See, I was bullied quite a bit growing up, and the only reason I'm so hard on you is because I don't want Jack to go through that too. It's just so lonely- and I know you know what I'm talking about- to be alone in your own house. I don't want to force him to live with someone who constantly tortures him because I've been there," Lincoln revealed, and I understood him so much more with just that sentence. He just wants to protect his child from feeling alone in his own home.

I can understand that. I wouldn't want to constantly live in a warzone.

"Maybe you aren't as bad as I though, kid." Haha, I'm breaking through! Suck on that! I smiled brightly at his words because I finally felt like I found somewhere to belong. "So I'm now hoping that you understand; I won't agree to you living with us until you can learn to get along with Jack."

Objective: Tame The Devil. Heaven help me!

***

I woke up really late the next morning- actually afternoon- and put on my staying at home clothes before settling in with the rest of my book. Just as I finished the last page, Megan declared from the door, "Devon, put on something legitimate, you're going to Jamie's house in a few minutes!"

I put on loose blue jeans and a black t-shirt. What can I say, jeans and a t-shirt are my entire freaking wardrobe; are you saying that you keep other things in your closet?

I went down the ever familiar stairs with a radiant smile on my face that seemed to be my new most used facial expression. I guess smiling is fun, but I never had a reason to do it before.

Megan did a little double take when she saw me because of how much happier I looked. It really is a major change in my overall personality. I saw Jamie's car pull up, and I walked out to it while trying to hold back my excitement. Lincoln was with her, so I sat in the back seat.

Once we pulled up to their house, I realized the severity of our situation. This is the defining moment in my current world. It feels as if my entire existence was leading up to this very second. I wanted to put up three fingers like Katniss Everdeen, but that would make me look insane. In my hand, I held the note I had written, and now I was reading it over once more anxiously...

Jack,

I would like to make it known that while I don't understand exactly what you're going through, I am still here to talk to. As much as I detest your personality on the outside, I just have a feeling that there's a reason you're so predatory towards me, so I want to have as productive of a conversation we can while I'm in this state.

I took a quick second to kiss my ass goodbye before knocking on the door. Jack opened the door slightly before slamming it back closed in my face, so I pushed my note under the door instead. I heard the rustling of him opening the paper, and I felt kind of strange. How will he respond to this? Does he really just need someone to talk to?

"Is this for real?" his voice questioned. "Knock once for yes and twice for no."

I knocked on the door once. Yes, I want a chance to understand you, buckaroo. I heard the door open slowly, and I stepped into the lion's den just as slowly. "Sit down," he murmured while gesturing to his bed, "and don't interrupt."

I rolled my eyes while pointing at my throat, and he let out a humorless laugh before beginning, "It started a long time ago..."