Chapter 23

Thank you all so much for 100 votes! This makes me so happy. :) Small warning: Short, but important Chapter. But I promise the next one will be longer. :) WARNING: MINOR SWEARING.

Chapter 23

Normal POV

Professor Kukui sat in the living room, as he listened to the sound of Emethyst snoring. He laughed a little under his breath, as he thought she was going to rip the paint off the walls. He was happy that they were finally getting along, and that things were starting to work out.

Suddenly, he heard a vibration of sorts. It was coming from the coffee table. He looked over, and saw Emethyst's phone laying on the table. She had forgot to grab it on her way back to bed.

Professor Kukui saw her phone light up again, and vibrate. He knew what he was about to do was wrong, but he took a look anyway.

He grabbed it, and unlocked it, to be met with Emethyst and Crystal's faces as Emethyst's home screen. He then got a sad look in his eyes, as he rubbed his thumb over Emethyst's phone screen where Crystal's face was. "Oh Crystal, I'm so sorry for not being there for our little girl." He said, tears welling in his eyes.

A text notification then popped up on the top of the phone screen, and on impulse, Kukui clicked on it.

"Start your free trial now!"  The text read.

"Ah, Spam." Kukui said, as he exited the text message. The screen then went to Emethyst's text log. Professor Kukui was surprised to see Emethyst didn't text all that much, except to a few friends he guessed were from her previous school, and.... Her mom.

Kukui knew what he was about to do was wrong, but he tapped on Mom and it brought up the entire text log.

February 28th at 4:00pm

Mom: Hey sweetie, I'm running a little late tonight. I'm really sorry.

Emethyst: But you told me you'd be home early tonight.... I was really looking forward to spending time with you for once. You've been working so much.

Mom: Sweetheart, I promise we'll spend all the time in the world together as soon as I get home. I'll make it up to you.

Emethyst: You always say that, and yet you never do. I'm sick of it! 

Mom: Emethyst, please understand.. I'll be home as soon as possible. I love you.

Emethyst: Yeah, well I'm beginning to hate you. 🙄

*2 Hours Later*

Emethyst: And you're still not home. Where are you?! I might as well just live alone!

Mom: I'm on mejsiisjabwgjhgyggs

Emethyst: What?

*20 mins later*

Emethyst: Mom???

Emethyst: There's someone knocking at the door... It's Officer Jenny...

Emethyst: NO!! MOM!! THIS ISN'T TRUE!!!

Emethyst: NO!!! PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS SOME SICK JOKE!! PLEASE!!! MOM I'M SO SORRY!!! I DIDN'T MEAN WHAT I SAID!!! PLEASE...

Emethyst: Mom... Officer Jenny told me you didn't make it... I'm so heartbroken right now. I can't stop crying. Officer Jenny brought me Froslass's Pokeball.. She wont come out... I don't know what to do...

Professor Kukui sobbed uncontrollably. He took off his glasses and his hat, as he couldn't hold it in. "Oh, Emethyst..." He sobbed. "I'm so sorry you had to endure this alone. Why was I such an asshole back then?!" He cried as quietly as possible. He wanted to wake Emethyst up and hug her and never let go. He put his glasses back on to read the rest.

March 25th

Emethyst: I don't know why I keep texting you like you're going to reply, but I'm on my way to Alola to live with my Dad. I'm scared and I don't know how this is going to turn out. I can't find Froslass's Pokeball, and Haunter hasn't been out of his since the incident because I don't want him to see me cry. I miss you so much.

Emethyst: If I could have one final wish, it would be to talk to you face to face one more time...

Emethyst: I'm sorry mom.

Emethyst: Mom I can't stop crying. All I can think about is you.

The texts stopped there, and Professor Kukui locked the phone and sat it back down on the coffee table. It was now that he understood why Emethyst was on edge all the time, and why she was always sad. He wanted more than nothing to take all the pain away from her. Kukui looked up at the loft, as he listened to Emethyst sleep soundly.

He then walked up the loft stairs, and walked over to the green couch that Ash normally slept on, and sat down. He watched as Emethyst slept soundly. Every breath she took, every sudden movement she made. He admired her the more he stared at her. He hated himself for the decision he made years ago.

"I'm so sorry, Emethyst.."