24 - loss

Brutus Lycan's POV:

A loud scream erupted through my wolf's sensitive ears, making us snap our heads towards the noise. All I could see right at that moment was Ember laying on the ground, almost her whole body covered in her own blood. I froze. A sharp pain shot through my chest as I started running up to her.

My sweet little mate.

Sniffing her, I noticed a very specific smell and let out nothing but a whine. Tristan and I looked at each other, not having any kind of a physical contact on our minds anymore.

She was the priority now, she needed to be safe before I could do anything. Alertly jumping around her, my wolf finally let me shift. Taking her delicate body into my arms, I started running. As fast and hard as I could, many possible situations running through my mind.

At one point, I could easily swear that I felt a tear dunning down one of my cheeks.

Dodging thick branches and prickly bushes, I finally made it through the thickest part of the forest. I made it to the pack's doctor. My leg muscles felt like they were going to burn off because all the power that I used, but I couldn't give any fucks at this very situation.

"Help her." I bursted into the small house, a smell of cleaning supplies instantly laced into my nostrils. The doctor hurriedly led us to the bed where he told me I could let her go now. My fingers were still curled around her tender flesh, unable to let go. They were almost cramped.

"What happened?" The doctor asked me, checking her body for any visible injuries.

"I don't know!" I screamed out as Tristan walked in right at that moment, rushing by her side.

"She... She screamed and she waa bleeding, I don't know." I repeatedly said, feeling as something inside of me started to break. I was already going absolutely insane.

"I'm going to have to ask you to step out of the room, please." The doctor voiced as he was alretly still checking her body.

Snapping my head towards Tristan, I felt as my anger started to build up again. All I wanted to do at this point was to slit his throat and watch him take his last breath, but I couldn't do it just yet.

Ember was my number one priority.

"Leave!" I screamed at him, feeling as all of my rage flowed into only that one word. Looking down at her, he left the house.

I wanted to land a punch at him for every single time he looked at her or touched her. He was a dead man, mark my words.

"Is she going to be okay?"

"We'll see in a bit."

Ember Harper's POV:

Opening my eyes, I was instantly blinded by all the natural light in the room. Squinting my eyes, I tried not to move too much. My body felt like it was clad in hunderds of heavy chains, stabbing pain piercing through it every once in a while. Looking to my right, I saw Brutus. He was leaned on the hospital bed that I was laid on, soudly asleep in an uncomfortable sitting position.

hold up, I am in a hospital bed?

Trying to get up and observe, I got laid back down by an immense pain in my stomach. My body was weakening with every second and I looked for a valid reason to it. My mate's muscles tensed up, and he suddenly looked up at me. His glossy, tired eyes were now lit up with pure worry. I was afraid that it was the only emotion he felt towards me.

"Brutus I can't even begin to say how-" In the middle of my sentence muffled my upcoming tears, I was cut off by Brutus. A subtle smile covered his soft lips and he leaned in, kissing the skin of my cheek. Heat instantly rushed through my body, flushing my cheeks with a whole another tint of pink. I could feel myself burning beneath him.

"And I can't even begin to tell you how hurt I am, mia bella." He spoke, his voice holding much more emotion than I could've ever imagined. He looked broken, fragile beneath just my look. I went to touch the long lost broken boy in front of me, tangling my fingers in his thick hair.

"The fact that the pup might be his kills me, it's ripping out my soul. But I'm ready to accept it, even if it means it's his." I immidiately, almost jumping out of bed, lunged at him and wrapped my arms around his neck, this time not being stopped by the pain that still rushed through my body, hitting every nerve.

Even tears started spilling out of my eyes from the pain, but I did not care. I had Brutus and a had a pup, our heir.

"Be careful mia bella."  He called, laying me back on the bed and wiping the beads of tears off my flushed face.

A sudden knock on the door interrupted our shared moment, making panic rise inside of me in spirals. My heart was already as loud as a drum, yet it managed to increase just now. Brutus gripped my hand, commanding an entrance to the room. To my full relief, it was a doctor. His frailing figure walked it's way over to us, holding a stack of papers up to his chest.

"So doctor, how are the results?" Brutus questioned, hope coating his voice.

"The situation can still be fixed-"

"Tell me what it is." I lifted myself from the bed into a seating position, my whole body shaking with nervousness now.

"Alpha, Luna... You lost your pup."