25 - realization

Ember Harper's pov:

Chaos twirled in my body, crashing me fully. The feeling of goosebumps would not leave my skin for a solid hour, even though I did not feel cold. In fact, my skin felt like it was going to fall off my body due to the heat that danced on top of it. I felt, needless to say - empty.

The room that I locked herself in looked like a prison, with dark walls and cold temperature that seeped deep into my skin.

Bangs erupted through the large wooden door, the noise seeming louder in my ears than it actually was. My name was being called repeatedly by different tones and voices, but none of that was really audible in my head, the sound of my own voice was overpowering every single one. In no time, before I could even think of another thing, the door was down in a single one of Brutus' moves.

Snapping my head up, I was now faced with Brutus' approaching figure. His fingers were twitching and his eyes were narrowed, indicating that he was livid.
"What were you thinking?" He voiced, dropping down to his knees and embracing me into his arms. His warmth surrounded me wholly, nearly swallowing me.

"It's dead Brutus... I can't believe it." Strings of sobs and unrecognizable words spilled out of my mouth, muffling against Brutus' bare chest.

"There was no way to stop it." He soothed, his words just rubbing off on me as I decided not to believe his soft sounding words. In my head, I was the one who's fault it was. I stopped a life inside of myself, I was the one who fell and who got hurt. My body was aching with both physical and mental pain, the thoughts of it alone making my insides twist with a sensation that was still unfamiliar and unwelcome to my body.

Wiping the tears off my face, my facial expression fell into a bland one.
"Brutus, there's a decision to be made. Everyone in the pack shoulf be there." Standing up shakily, I watched as realization grew in Brutus' eyes.
_____

"Dear pack members and dear family, there is a really important message to be sent. As you all might know, earlier today I had a miscarriage. I've been a terrible Luna to this pack, nobody needs to hide that fact. You should be ashamed of me and my actions, yet I was surprised to see that everyone still treated me with kindness. I am incredibly thankful for that. Now, the main problem of this whole situation is the fact that I have two mates. Two brothers. Brutus and Tristan. I've been destined and forced to choose between the two, to my unfortune. Therefore, I Ember Harper, the Luna of this very pack, decide that I'm going to gift all of my loyalty and loce to your Alpha, Brutus. And since the law is destined to be that way, Tristan is going to be executed by his brother. Thank you all for your much needed attention. Stay safe."

Walking back, I was faced with two brothers. Both of them standing tall and muscular, they looked very similar. Almost the only difference was that one of them was smiling, and one of them was hit with realization and failure.

"Tristan." I called out, carefully approaching the vicious male. Looking down at me, he started growing pools of tears in his eyes. My insides clenched once again.

"Ember, all I ever wanted was to love you. I wanted to feel loved, for the first time in my life. And I tried fighting for it, I tried to fight for your attention and your beautiful self." The first wet pearl ran down his stubbly face, getting lost in between the small, prickly hair.

"But I guess that the heart wants what it wants, and your heart wanted Brutus. Now goodbye, my loved one. Stay safe." He kissed the top of my head, making a growl escape from Brutus' lips. I did not move, I tried to ignore the guilt that started to swell in my body.

Brutus walked after his brother, them walking into the deep part of the forest. Everyone followed them, except from me. I could not stand to watch that scene, it would only make me burst into tears once again. So instead, I ran my way over to the house that I was seated in just an hour ago.
_____

Hours passed and nobody walked the streets anymore, the only thing that was audible at that very moment was the faint noise of people shouting at something. The moon shone over the pack, my body being laid in a bed with Brutus' smell surrounding me. Pressing his pillow closer to me, I impatiently awaited for his arrival. I wanted his comfort and his soothing words. He was all that my body needed to soothe the incredible amounts of pain that I was expiriencing.

Suddenly, out of dead night, shouts started turning into screams as the once faint noise started getting louder. Pressing myself against the huge window, I tried to discover what the noise was all about. The only thing I noticed were facial expressions of screaming people. They all looked terrified, sending eruptions of panic to my body. Just as I turned around to exit the room, Christian bursted in through the door.

A layer of swear was accumulating on his forehead, his body looking worn out. There were traces of blood all over his hands and his previously snowy white shirt. He looked scared for his life.

"What happened?" I questioned, my voice shaking as I tried to approach him and inspect his body for any deep wounds. He took a step back, stumbling as he almost fell over.

"Tell me what's wrong!"

"Ember... Brutus is dead."