26. long nights

(trigger warning)

And I wanna kiss you, make you feel alright
I'm just so tired to share my nights
I wanna cry and I wanna love
But all my tears have been used up
...

Kayla's POV

"Lou! Open the door!" Daniel shouts, his hands banging on the white door. I paused my show a couple of minutes ago to go to the bathroom and make more popcorn. I flick on the lights again as I make my way to the door.

"Please! For fuck's sake, I'll break it down!" Daniel cries, his fist pounding against the door as I unlock it and turn the knob slowly. Daniel has tears in his eyes which is a surprise to me. I haven't seen him cry ever.

"She doesn't want to talk to you," I say and close my eyes in pain. It hurts to see him cry. I knew there was something up with them but I didn't think it would do this must damage to each of them. Was it a fling? It couldn't have lasted that long? Daniel doesn't really date anyone.

"Kayla please let me see her. I need to talk to her and tell her I'm sorry. I didn't mean for that to happen or for her to see that!" Daniel's voice rages and at the same time, it's breaking.

"Come here," I widen the door and wrap my arms around Daniel's chest. Him not taking the hug instantly but soon enough he wraps his arms around my body, "She's not here Daniel. She told me that she didn't want to see you. You hurt her-

"I hurt everyone Kayla," he backs out of the hug pushing himself out the door again, "it's a specialty. I hurt fucking everyone and I can't feel anything. Lou said it herself. I'm witty, sarcastic, and apathetic!" He shouts again, "Do you know what that fucking means?! I'm uninterested in things that make me happy! I can't feel that anymore. I'm nothing and I show nothing to anyone!" He buffs and punches his fist into the wall cracking some of the cheap white paint on the outside of the place.

"I haven't felt this way with anyone since Cassidy! Since I was in high school and she's come down to Florida to visit her family. My family friend girlfriend who drowned freshman year! God and Lou bring that spark back into my life Kayla!" He groans pounding his hand against the frame of the door.

"Don't you think I miss the old me? Lou should've met me in middle school. She would've actually liked me and I wouldn't be this...this monster. I wouldn't be this jerk! I wouldn't go around just to fuck every girl I see! I wouldn't have shit head friends! I wouldn't get high and not feel it! I wouldn't get drunk and not feel a thing! I wouldn't wear dark colors! I wouldn't be so apathetic!" He sighs taking in a deep breath and some saltwater wells up in my eyes.

"Don't say that Daniel it isn't true-

"I love Lou," his eyes grasp a hold onto mine, just like his hands do on my arms, "I love her Kayla. I barely even know her, and it's almost the end of September already. She makes me wanna be different. She makes me wanna fucking feel again." His voice is breaking as tears fall from his deep blue ocean eyes.

The waves storming within him. The way he surfs it all. Everything is bad enough around him. Running away from the happiness, the joy, the excitement...the love.

"Daniel," I sigh and wipe away one of my own tears as he turns away from me, his hands running through his platinum blonde hair pulling at the darker roots in frustration.