Chapter 19 Hong Kong

16th November 1942

Tine woke up on the chair, his back hurt like hell but he managed to stand up, the sunlight was intense and he could hear the crowd in the streets of Hong Kong. He went back inside to check if Sarawat was awake but since he was sleeping peacefully he decided to go alone. Tine went to the cafe and ordered a coffee, after that he went to the receptionist. he wanted to ask if he had enough time to go out for a walk in Hong Kong, he came closer to the receptionist when he heard someone calling him. 

"Tine? Goodmorning!" Tine turned back and saw Fukuda bowing behind him, he smiled and replied

"Goodmorning Fukuda san, may I ask you why you are here?" Tine asked, the japanese employee nodded and replied

"I have to get off for a few minutes, the minister asked me to talk to a few officers here in Hong Kong" 

"May I come with you? I would like to visit the city if it's possible..." Tine replied. Fukuda nodded again and said

"Of course, I have to meet the officers in the city center, I will get there with a taxi, you can come with me if you want" 

"Thank you very much Fukuda san." 

"Oh I'm really sorry Fukuda san, I forgot that I have a thing to do, I'll be back in a minute" 

"Don't worry Tine, I'll wait for you here" Fukuda replied and sat on an armchair and he started reading a newspaper. Tine went back to his cabin, he asked if Sarawat was already awake but the maid replied that he was still asleep, so he went to the living room, he took a sheet and a pen and wrote something, he looked back at her and asked her to give Sarawat that sheet. 

"I'll be back soon, or at least for  lunch, bye" Tine said smiling and left. he went back to the reception, he started looking for Fukuda who immediately noticed him and called him

"Tine! I'm here, are you ready?" 

"Yes" Tine replied and followed his japanese friend. As they got off the ship they found a chauffeur waiting for them. As they arrived at the hotel occupied by the military headquarter. Fukuda told Tine that he had to go alone but that there were a lot of intersting place to visit that the receptionist could recommend. 

In the meanwhile Sarawat woke up as he heard the maid making some noise with a tray. The maid entered the room and left the tray with some croissants and a cup of tea on the table. Sarawat slowly got up and rubbed his sleepy eyes. The first thing that he noticed was that Tine wasn't there so he asked where he was. 

"He said that he wanted to visit the city sir." the maid answered, she took something from her pocket and gave him the letter Tine left. Sarawat was pretty disappointed, why did he went out alone? Why? Why didn't he woke him up? he couldn't answer those questions and it made him mad. He threw the letter on the floor and went to the bathroom to have a shower. 

Tine was walking around the hotel so that he couldn't get lost and that he could notice if Fukuda left the building. While walking he found a little pastry shop. it was pretty cute, Tine smiled and decided to enter, he spent a few minutes there but at the end he chose a few pastries, he paid and went out. 

"Oh, I notice that you found some lovely souvenirs" Fukuda asked as he finally found him

"Fukuda san, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to make you wait. Yes... I'm sure that Sarawat will love these" Tine replied

"Don't worry Tine, and this meeting wasn't really helpful... they found just a name... Miss Park... but it won't be easy to find this woman... so, those are for Sarawat? Wow, he's such a lucky guy" Fukuda said chuckling

"Yeah right, should we leave now?" Tine asked smiling, Fukuda patted his back and said

"Yes, you're right, we have to go now or the ship will leave without us!" Tine started laughing after the last joke. 

When Tine reached his cabin he knocked, the two maids opened the door, he gave them the coat and asked for a plate for the pastries he bought for Sarawat. 

"Is he still here?" Tine asked

"No sir, he woke up and left a few minutes ago, I'm sorry but I don't knwo where he is" 

"Don't worry... I'm sure that he wil come back sooner or later... oh, here you are sleeping beauty!" Tine said as Sarawat came back. 

"Shut up..." Sarawat replied closed the door of teh bedroom. 

"Are you mad at me? Again? Seriously? I bought you something that you might like..."

The noise of the ship became louder so Tine understood that the ship was about to leave Hong Kong and sail to Manila, two days of ocean before arriving in another city. 

"Give him those pastries... but only if he gets calmer, I don't want him to waste them since I couldn't come back to the shop"