34. hubbie

a/n i was gonna hold off on publishing my new fic bc its spicy but u know me, i need validation. first chapters up now, it'd mean a lot if you guys gave it a read thx 💕💕

-

"Good morning, baby," Mattia murmurs in Kairi's ear, his hand tightening around the smaller's stomach.

He smiles to himself and slowly blinks himself awake, tuning out Alvaro's cries of "It happened again!"

"You're going to go broke if you keep this up," he whispers back.

"Some things are worth $5."

Kairi turns around to face Mattia and quirks an eyebrow. "Only $5?" His boyfriend pretends that he's thinking for a moment, making him laugh softly. "I hate you."

"Mm-hmm," Mattia replies. "That's why you get upset when I don't pay off Robert early enough."

"Yup."

"I think," Mattia says, pulling Kairi against his chest, "that you actually like me. In a gay way."

"That's gross. I would never." Despite himself, he laughs at what he says, snaking his arms around Mattia. "If anything, I think you like me in a gay way."

"Very much. What are you gonna do about it, bitch?"

Alvaro coughs awkwardly. The two lazily turn to face him. "I hate to interrupt whatever's going on here - because trust me, I would rather remove myself from your weird flirting entirely - but if you don't get up soon, we're going to be late to meet your friends."

"Eh, they'll probably be late too," Kairi responds. He sits up anyway, bringing Mattia with him. The boy clings to his back, arms around his waist and head resting on Kairi's shoulder. "They only have like, one car between them. And from what they've told me, George drives like an old lady."

"I can't wait to meet them - especially George," Alejandro says from the other side of the room, already dressed and ready. "Jealous Mattia is my only form of entertainment anymore."

"I don't get jealous," Mattia mumbles. Everyone ignores him.

"I can't wait for you guys to meet them too. I've only known them for a few weeks but they've helped me so much and I genuinely enjoy talking to them. I think you'll get along well - apart from George and Mattia." Mattia huffs.

The boys leave the room one by one to either get breakfast or go to the bathroom to get ready, until it's just the two boyfriends.

"How've you been doing lately, bubs?" Mattia asks, pulling back to look at Kairi.

"Much better. Hanging out with everyone again - I don't know, I just don't think about it. I'm actually happy - have been since the day you all arrived." Kairi trails off and purses his lips.

Mattia, ever-perceptive, notices. "What is it?"

"I just... I don't know how long this is going to last. It's always like this - I'll be happy for a bit and then I'm crashing again. Every now and then I feel a bit drained, and I have to force myself to snap out of it. But when everyone goes back, I don't know what'll happen. Well, I do, I just don't want it to happen. I don't want to push you and Ale away again."

Mattia hums, thinking over his words. "You know... I've said this before, but we're always here for you. If I have to break in through your window at midnight to snap you out of it, then I'll pull an Alyssa and do it." Kairi laughs at that. Mattia smiles back at him and thinks to himself, 'I'm so in love with you.'

-

"Your boyfriend's a monkey!" Megan calls, falling for the umpteenth time while Kairi climbs on top of the monkeybars with ease. He hooks his legs over the edge and hangs upside down, face-to-face with Megan.

"You have to press your back against one pole and put your legs on the other while pulling yourself up," he offers, but she pouts at him.

"I give up," she sighs, watching the rest of her friends laugh at her from the top.

Mattia copies Kairi, hanging down beside him and kissing his cheek. He must have caught him by surprise, because the boy jolts, then slips, collapsing on the ground.

"Are you okay?" Mattia asks immediately, but Kairi just flips him off.

"He's trying to kill me!" Kairi tells Alvaro, who ran over when he saw the kid fall. "I'm writing him out of the will, you're the sole inheritor now."

"I'm sorry!"

Alvaro helps Kairi to his feet. "It's what I deserve! I always knew Mattia was a bad egg, and now I'm finally validated." He cheers, to which Mattia scoffs. "Now come play soccer with us."

"Something I'm good at! Thank god!" Megan lets out a sigh of relief and walks off with the two of them, leaving Mattia with Bella and George.

"You better go apologise to your hubbie," Bella says, grinning at him.

Mattia laughs. "I know! I don't want to play soccer with him though because they'll all gang up on me."

"You gotta do what you gotta do, and sometimes what you have to do is let your boyfriend beat you in a game."

"Trust me, there's no way I'm winning against him."

"Or you could just let me have him," George butts in.

Mattia's jaw clenches, and he outright rolls his eyes. Some people don't understand how to joke around, and it really shows. He ignores George's comment and hops down from the monkeybars, storming his way over to the makeshift soccer field. Distantly, he hears Bella scolding George.

Kairi waves him over - they're all together, trying to decide on teams. Mattia takes his place by Kairi's side, immediately throwing one arm over his shoulder and tugging the boy into his side.

"Trying to break my neck again?" he asks. Mattia huffs and pulls him into a kiss.

When they break apart, Kairi grins at him, and Mattia can't help but feel just a little bit smug. He makes sure to look back at George and flip him off behind Kairi's back.

-

The rest of the afternoon is spent mucking around and chasing the ball, occasionally tackling each other to the ground just for the fun of it. When Bella and George join, Mattia "accidentally" collides into him, tripping him when Kai isn't looking.

He has to make sure he gets the message, you know?

-

a/n sidenote, i know how i want this story to end but like getting there? i dunno bruh!! plus im trying to avoid really cliche things bc i hate hate hate misunderstandings n i think the bigger problem in this book is kai's mental health rather than their relationship, but i also dont want it to be boringgg. any suggestions??

also pls read fwb the first chapter isnt that good but like 👀👀 the next few? hoo damn