Unused Chapter 34 Scene (DC)

Author's Note: Warning for suicide. This happens after Aries and Sagittarius leave to stop the assassination. That's why I chose not to include it (and the fact I have no idea how to continue and not 'downplay' this), but I have it here anyways.

-x-x-x-

"...Cancer!" Pisces suddenly shrieked. Cancer spun around from where her gaze had followed Sagittarius and Aries just in time to see the woman standing atop the railing to the tower, standing up tall with her arms outstretched.

It was almost picturesque – the woman's silhouette against the gleaming sun and blue sky, dark hair slipping from her bun and fanning out around her as the wind picked up.

"May the Divine Mother forgive me for failing her." She whispered, then –

"No!"

– she seemed to float, suspended in the air like a bird with its wings outstretched.

Then she, too, plummeted.

"Goddesses–!" Virgo breathed, unable to tear her eyes away from where the woman had been, just a moment ago; her silhouette imprinted upon her eyelids.

"...hrk!" Libra turned away, shaking. Aquarius rubbed his back, but even she seemed to be unable to look away from where the woman had just been.

"What... why–?!" Capricorn stared blankly in shock, nails digging into his palm. He managed to tear his eyes away, opening his mouth as he turned towards Scorpio –

"...I'm – I'm going after Aries and Sagittarius." Scorpio muttered, spinning around on his heel and hurrying down the stairs.

Relys burst into tears. Leo, who had managed to finally pull himself to his feet after managing to fend off the headache, knelt again to embrace her. Relys sobbed into his shoulder while his mother simply stood, her hand over her mouth and eyes wide.

"...why would she do that? We're not – we weren't going to..." Pisces mumbled, turning away. "We weren't going to murder her, were we? It's not... it couldn't have been..."

Cancer moved to the edge and stared down, lips pressed into a thin line.

Finally, she turned around.

"Everyone – everyone!" She snapped, sheathing her daggers. "Whatever's happened... we can't change it. That's it. But we can't be caught up in this forever. If she chose to do it... that's... her choice."

Cancer took a deep breath. "Look. People die, right? We've –" She cut herself off, after seeing Relys. "– encountered them before. Didn't stop us from... facing off against them. I can't say I know why she'd think that would be the better option or... whatever, but –" Ugh, this leader thing is hard... "We're the Zodiacs. We've lived through more. So... it's – it's normal. To feel... shocked."

She tried to bring to mind her memories of Sagittarius. She smiles when she cheers people up, right? Cancer tried to smile, too, but it felt more like a grimace anyway and gave up. "But we can work through this. We're... we're shocked. It's okay. But we have other stuff to focus on – we can't just leave Sagittarius... and Aries, Scorpio and Taurus by themselves." She curled her fingers into a fist. "So... we have to push this behind ourselves for now. But... we have to help them first."

"R-right." To Cancer's surprise, Virgo was the one to speak up. "We..." Her eyes glazed over slightly, but Virgo continued, "We're the Zodiacs. It's shocking, but – the others need our help first. We can't – let this... stop us from helping them."

"I –" Gemini bit her lip, then nodded. "Then... if the others need us, we have to go. We can't –"