Chapter 4

That evening we all sat around the table in the Kitchen for dinner, usually I would sit across from Jack but this time I sat on the end next to Agnes, away from Jack. I couldn't bear to be near him. I loved him but he had moved on. Being accepted back here at Callander Hall was the first good thing that had happened to me since Mr Ambrose was arrested for stealing the dawn star. I felt miserable, even though I was surrounded by my friends. We had all lost Mrs Callander, she was the first person to believe in me with my writing, even Ida didn't believe I could do it she thought I would always be a servant. Then I lost my position, although I got it back. Then I had lost Jack, and now I had lost Ida.

Jack's POV

Hetty was sat staring sadly at her bowl of stew. It broke my heart to see her like this. I just wanted to go and wrap my arms around her and tell her everything would be okay but she wouldn't let me. She would just push me away like earlier. I came back here in the hope she would return after a realised I still love her, but it seems like she doesn't even want to be my friend. Oh I wish I had never stepped out with Babs now. Maybe we would be together now if I hadn't. I saw the look of disappointment on her face but chose to ignore it and now she has pushed all feelings of me away even just friendshop ones. I was soon snapped out of my thoughts by Gid nudging me and giving me a look. He had already figured that I still loved Hetty and you could bet that he would make fun out of, even more so now it was apparent that Hetty didn't like me even as a friend. I mean she wasn't even sitting near me like she used to. I just raised my eyebrows at Gid, hoping he wouldn't say anything. It was then that I was spared humiliation by Agnes speaking up.

Hetty POV

'So Hetty, whats wrong? you know you can tell us' Agnes asked, pulling me out of my thoughts of what I'd lost. 'Where do I start.' I said sorrowfully. 'Before Harriet and Mathias' wedding Mr Callander offered me my job back but something was telling me that I had to see Ida, so I thought that I would go to Bignor to see Ida and pursue my writing. I met a lovely family called the Greenwoods on the train, and I helped them look after their baby' I took a breathe just like when I was speaking to Mr Callander as this was theh hard part. ' When I eventually found the house that Ida was working at, I knocked on the door and Ida answered but at first I didn't recognise her. She was so thin and frail it was like looking at a skeleton' I said as the tears started to fall down my face knowing I couldn't stop them, seeing it all happen in my head. 'She started coughing. She was so ill, it was terrifying and she refused to see a doctor. I cried myself to sleep that night. I woke up and Ida started coughing again and she was spitting blood so I told her I was going for a walk and took all of my money with me to find a doctor. I found one and he called by later that evening. I thought Ida had influenza when I had first seen Ida, it reminded me of how ill I had been in the foundling hospital. But it was much much worse. She had consumption very badly and the Doctor took her to the infirmay and I knew she wasn't coming out even though I tried to be brave for her' the tears were falling fast and heavy now as Agnes put her arm around me. 'I took her belongings with me and went and sat on the beach and wept, which is where I saw Maisie, one of the Greenwood daughters. She was lost so I helped her to find her parents who after finding out about Ida took me in and treated me like I was one of their own, I got to wear some fancy dresses of the girls too' I said smiling a little 'They even took me to the infirmary every night where I stood outside of Ida's window and waved so she knew I was okay. One day the Greenwood's took me to the curiosities with them, they had a tattooed man, a man with 2 heads, a pirate and a giant lady' I smiled tearfully remembering my dear friend Freda as everyone looked in amazement at this. 'Then the Greenwood's had to return home from their holiday and I was alone again, then I remembered the curiosites so I went and got a job there as Emerald the mermaid. I shared a room with Freda the giant lady, she was so nice to me and I miss her so, although the men were creeps' I said sighing and out of the corner of my eyes I saw Jack scowl slightly. 'I was allowed to go and visit Ida every evening, until one night she started coughing so badly and didn't stop so I climbed through the window and held her until she eventually stopped, lying still. I knew that my dear mother was gone but I kept stroking her hair and telling her how much I loved her hoping she would wake up but she wouldn't. ' I was now sobbing into Agnes' chest. She had pulled me over onto her and comforted me. I hated the feeling of everyone seeing me cry so much, but I knew I must carry on my story. 

Jack POV

I hated seeing Hetty cry so, but I couldn't comfort her she was go crazy at me. She hated me. Gid nudged me and looked, seeing to sadness in my eyes, a sadness that hadn't left since I returned here. I could see the same sorrow in Gid's eyes knowing that his borrowed sister was in so much pain. He mouthed to me 'Talk to her' I shook my head 'Take her outside' he mouthed back. I knew he wouldn't stop until I did so I gave in. After she had finished speaking I went over and put my hand on her shoulder awaiting her to push me off.

Hetty POV

After I had calmed down I carried on. 'I didn't have enough for a funeral so Freda helped me so I stayed there for a while to pay her back and then decided to return here. I couldn't stay in Bignor, I had only experienced sorrow there. So that's why I am back'

They all looked at me sadly, expressing their sorrow for me. I felt so embarrassed that  I had broken down like that infront of them all. Jack came over and put his hand on my shoulder so I moved it away. What did he think he was doing? He was with Babs now not me. 'Hetty please' Jack said pleadingly 'Come outside with me. I wish to speak to you. I need to tell you something then if you still want to you can leave and I won't bother you again, we can work together and that be all' he was begging by this point 'Fine' I sighed ' let me grab my shawl' and with that we went outside.